Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Anchoring cover - concrete anchor vs ground pipe anchor

1. Back To Top    #1

Anchoring cover - concrete anchor vs ground pipe anchor

Hello everyone! Just finishing a pool remodel at my new house, you can see that thread here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ld-gunite-pool

I just put in new stamped concrete I don't love the idea of drilling into it. I talked to my pool refinisher and he said I could get pipe anchors and extension straps. About half would be need extensions (two sides are 5 feet and I think I could get away without the straps, but the other two sides are 8 feet and would need extensions). I like the idea of not drilling into the concrete and not having to worry about screwing the pins up and down, them getting stuck, etc.

I just ordered the 5' fencing that will be going around the concrete with self-closing gate and magna-lock latches. The cover that came with the pool has a couple small rips where it was probably dragged on the concrete by the previous owner, but for the most part is in good enough shape to keep out leaves/debris during the winter.

Does anyone see any issues with using the pipe anchors/strap extenders? Thanks for any info and/or personal experience.
    Scott
    50 year old, newly remodeled in-ground 20x40' pool (approx 30,000 gallons)
    1.5 hp Hayward pump and 20 gpm/ft2 sand filter (62 gpm filtration&backwash), 50psi max working pressure

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Anchoring cover - concrete anchor vs ground pipe anchor

It can be tricky to get pipe anchors stable enough to work well. They either need a substantial amount of underground concrete or to be structurally connected to the rest of the deck. All of that can be done easily enough, it is just more work than connecting directly to the deck. Still, if that is the look you would prefer, you can certainly go that way.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply! In Ohio we have a lot of clay soil so maybe it will work better than some other places that might be more loose soil. The pipes I'm looking at are 18"
    1.5 hp Hayward pump and 20 gpm/ft2 sand filter (62 gpm filtration&backwash), 50psi max working pressure

4. Back To Top    #4

I am talking about pipes that are embedded in a substantial concrete footer that is well underground, so you only have the pipe and dirt for the top six inches, but lower down the pipe is embedded in concrete. I can't imagine pipes embedded in dirt working.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I see. Maybe i could set the pipes in a 6" diameter hole fill with concrete?

6. Back To Top    #6

18" of 6" round is not enough concrete. You either need a more substantial amount of concrete or a structural connection to the deck.

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok, i think you talked me into just doing the concrete anchors I think maybe i am just being overly concerned that it will damage the new concrete.

Thanks again for your help!

8. Back To Top    #8

I don't even notice my concrete anchors during the summer when they are screwed down.I was also a little concerned before they installed my cover but they are not as bad as I initially thought.
    16x32 vinyl ig with foxguard steel walls,gli liner ,hayward de filter,hayward heatpro heat pump,hayward colorlogic 4.0 led.pentair circular weir skimmers.hayward sharkvac xl robot,gli mesh cover.polk atrium speakers,sonos music system.erie pa.

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Anchoring cover - concrete anchor vs ground pipe anchor

Yes, the amount of pull on the anchors is substantial. I suspect you would want 18" deep holes 12"x12" square with 14" deep concrete so you could still have grass/perennials above it. The hole should be square to make it harder for the pole/concrete to move, belled out at the bottoms greater than 12" and probably have zero issues. I'd much rather over engineer the poles that have to redo them which would be a disaster in my book.
    Though I have anchors in concrete and no issues whatsoever. I vote for that.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

10. Back To Top    #10

Thank you! I will do concrete anchors. Has anyone done this themselves? Pretty easy for DIYer? Hammer drill and 3/4" masonry drill bit? 18" from the edge of the tarp. I watched the video and it didn't seem too bad.

11. Back To Top    #11

Got it done last week, not to bad, but did take about 6 hours to roll out the cover and drill 54 anchors. Thanks to everyone for the advice! Looking forward to a month or two when i can take it off! Will be putting an aluminum fence around the deck in a couple weeks.

12. Back To Top    #12

13. Back To Top    #13

Looks professional!
    23' x 37' IG 18.5k gallon SWG w/ raised spa, Build Thread -->Here
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8
    4x Hayward® TriStar™ pumps, Paramount PCC2000® ICS, TF-100 w/Speedstir