Pump replacement recommendation.

TK-421

Mar 4, 2015
Southern California
I am interested in a low noise and energy saving pump/motor combo, or just a motor replacement.

Currently I have a 1.5 Hp Whisperflo with 2 inch piping on everything above ground.

Pool Specs: 18 x 36 rectangular Plaster unground. Approx 27000-28000 gals
1 skimmer
Main drain plugged (Will try and unplug when it gets warmer)
3 Returns
60 sqft Purex 2000 DE.
Hayward ultra Vac
** Pool pump is approx 1.5 feet above pool deck.
I have a Jandy check valve on the suction side of the pump.

Future upgrades 0-2 years: 400k btu Nat gas heater
Perhaps solar

Remodel in 2-4 years: Add waterfall/ and or other features
Add waterslide
Add spa/perhaps spill over type
Two main drains
Two or more skimmers
More return jets

Initially I was looking at a simple 2 speed pump, or 2 speed motor replacement. That way we could enjoy peace and quiet instead of listening to our Screamflo pump.

However I saw the ecotech ez motor for $425 and the Hayward superpump vs pump for $680.

1. Is there any reason I shouldnt consider the ecotech ez for my application?

2. If I went this route should I change the impeller on my whisperflo?

3. Since the Superpump has 1.5 inch in/out and the rest of my plumbing is 2" should I even consider it?

I will be installing myself which ever way I go. That is why the intelliflo is out of the question with the way the warranty is for the price.

If it makes the most sense I would do a separate pump when we did the water features upgrade.

Thanks in advance.

The EcoTech variable speed motor is a reasonable choice.

Since you don't have a spa or waterfall or other obvious water feature the smaller impeller makes sense for a single speed or two speed motor. However, if you go with a variable speed motor you will have slightly higher efficiency by keeping your current impeller and turning the speed down to get the same flow rate you would have gotten with the smaller impeller.

A 1 1/2" inlet/outlet is not a problem. The piping will only be smaller over a very short distance, not enough to make any real difference.

It should be able to handle the waterslide no problem, but probably not a spa. Installing a connected spa is a huge project, replacing the pump at that time will hardly effect the total cost at all. For a spa you either need a pump specifically matched to the spa, or an IntelliFlo (or similar pump of another brand).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.