Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: make a pool shallower

1. Back To Top    #1

make a pool shallower

Any recommendations on contractors in North Dallas area making a pool shallower ? Our pool is 8feet deep on the deeper side so I want to make it 4feet high. Has anyone done this ? What a're your experiences ? What should I be looking at cost, just a ballpark ?
    Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: make a pool shallower

I can't help you, I'm sorry. But I am curious as to why you want to do this?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

This can be done to plaster and vinyl lined pools, though it is a fair amount of work. Changing the depth of a fiberglass pool is more or less the same as building a new pool from scratch. Actual costs will vary dramatically depending on pool size etc, but very rough ballpark numbers are $6K for vinyl, and $20K for plaster. We have seen a couple of forum members who have done this, though it isn't exactly common.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you. Mine is plaster.

5. Back To Top    #5

We rarely use the deep side. 4' or 5' would be ideal to use the entire pool. Pool is not for swimming laps but just to chill out and play in the water. Can't do that in 8' of water.

6. Back To Top    #6

How old are your kids, if any? We have a friend who made a "scuba diving depth" pool shallower.
    IG ~12000 gallon 1988 freeform pool with IG spa, Hayward equip, Ecostar pump. Remodel done: NPT Arctic 1x2 tile in Lagoon w/ gray thinset & Light Pewter grout, French Gray PebbleSheen w/ grey fittings, Leuders buff eased edge limestone coping w/ Light Buff mortar, buff mastic

7. Back To Top    #7

I would go with a minimum of 5 ft. You really don't want to go any shallower than that.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by srmagavi View Post
    We rarely use the deep side. 4' or 5' would be ideal to use the entire pool. Pool is not for swimming laps but just to chill out and play in the water. Can't do that in 8' of water.
    Sure you can on floats or in the big round tube... I love a deep end
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    Sure you can on floats or in the big round tube... I love a deep end
    Or drain 4' of water out! 😜
    18' x 36' saltwater inground vinyl pool

10. Back To Top    #10

This is why I'm building one only four feet from the start. I must have talked to a hundred pool owners and most thought their deep end a waste. Seems you could just fill it up with concrete and replaster.

11. Back To Top    #11

I'm guessing your pool is gunite/concrete, since most in this area seem to be. The process roughly would be to fill the deep end with concrete, but that's easier said than done. You would need to jack hammer into the existing pool shell to get down to the rebar, and tie in new rebar for the new concrete. Simply adding concrete inside the existing pool shell would certainly crack eventually, the whole shell needs to be one solid reinforced structure. You would also have to jack hammer out the current drain, and plumb in a new drain at the top of the new floor. It would probably require two drains in the new floor, in order to meet updated building codes, but that could simply be a tee fitting off the existing drain line. You would then need to replaster the entire pool for a seamless finish. Cost-wise I'm not sure how much, but you would be looking at many thousands of dollars, maybe even $10k or more.
    1982 built 15K? gallon IG gunite/plaster, DE filter, Pentair Challenger 1.5HP pump, Polaris 280, Pentair LA01N booster pump, 3-8' with diving board, K-2006 test kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by srmagavi View Post
    Any recommendations on contractors in North Dallas area making a pool shallower ? Our pool is 8feet deep on the deeper side so I want to make it 4feet high. Has anyone done this ? What a're your experiences ? What should I be looking at cost, just a ballpark ?
    Thanks.
    I'm here in Fort Worth and thinking the same thing. Curious if you explored this any more? Thx.
    25k In Ground Plaster? // Pentair 2 HP Pump // Pentair Centurion 3/4 HP Booster Pump // Pentair CCPlus 420 Cartridge Filter // Old Pentair Kreepy Krauly LL505G // 5 year old pool. // K-2006 Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

That's what noodles are for. The deep end is used the most in my pool, by myself, kids, grandkids (who like to show off their swimming skills)
    40 year old pool, 35k gal w/spa, gunite replastered July 2016, Hayward Sand filter, Hayward 1.5 hp single speed pump, TF-100, Kreepy Krauly suction side cleaner