Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Above Ground Pool startup

1. Back To Top    #1

New Above Ground Pool startup

My husband and I just received our pool shipment and have been preparing to install in the next couple of weeks. My TF-100 test kit, and SWG should arrive this coming week. My question is with startup. We will be filling with well water that passes through a water softener (filters out our Iron), and have been advised to only fill the pool during the day to allow the softener time to backflush in the evenings. This will result in a longer fill time. I'm wondering if we are supposed to wait until the pool is completely full and have the equipment running prior to testing the water and chlorinating or should we begin chlorinating whatever water is in the pool sooner?
    24' Round 14,000 gallon AG
    Hayward XStream 150 sq ft Cartridge Filter
    Hayward 1.5 HP Power Flo Matrix

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Above Ground Pool startup

Welcome to the forum!

I can't answer the water softener question, but as to chlorinating as you fill, yes, you should. Water out of the tap has no CYA, so take a best guess as to how much water you're adding and how fast, and aim for 2-3 ppm FC. Once you get the pool full enough to run the pump and mix the water, you can start bringing all the other parameters into balance.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JAFroese View Post
    My husband and I just received our pool shipment and have been preparing to install in the next couple of weeks. My TF-100 test kit, and SWG should arrive this coming week. My question is with startup. We will be filling with well water that passes through a water softener (filters out our Iron), and have been advised to only fill the pool during the day to allow the softener time to backflush in the evenings. This will result in a longer fill time. I'm wondering if we are supposed to wait until the pool is completely full and have the equipment running prior to testing the water and chlorinating or should we begin chlorinating whatever water is in the pool sooner?
    First, Welcome to the forum!

It's hard to tell you how much you can pull through the softener and still get a benefit from it. If you have a very small amount of iron, it may get a good deal of it, but not likely all of it. As a rule of thumb, and this will get you close, most units are sized to provide about 75-125 gallons of soft water per day, per person, per household.

Without knowing your hardness level, Iron level, and softener size, it will be impossible to tell you how much good it will do you. Metals in pool water are about the most difficult thing to deal with in terms of your pool water appearance. Most often, a sequestrant has to be used to keep it from being discolored. They are unfortunately costly, and have to be put in forever, unless you can acquire a metal free water source.

Do you have an idea of your hardness and Iron level?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

You may want to consider finding a source of iron free water and have it trucked in to fill your pool, then use the softened water to top off periodically. That will be less wear and tear on your softener and get things up and running faster.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Local Fire Departments around here will gladly come out and fill your pool from their truck for a small donation. It helps them train the new guys how to hook up the hoses and everything.

Just an idea.
    24'x54" 15k AG round - Outback Genesis
    1 1/2hp Hayward Matrix 2 speed. Hayward 180T Sand Filter
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool School & TF-100
    How to SLAM