Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 5lb Check Valve....Or Just Use Ball Valve

1. Back To Top    #1

5lb Check Valve....Or Just Use Ball Valve

Since I was going to install a heater bypass with 3 ball vales, should I bother also installing a 5lb check valve? Is there any advantage to installing the check valve? Seems redundant as I can always open the bypass valve if the flow rate to the heater exceeds 70GPM.

Thoughts?
    16k gal, IG pool and spa, pool 29x14, pebble, 1983, 1.5" plumbing, Pentair Intelliflo VSP, Pentair Quad DE, Zodiac Aqualink Z4-PSi, AquaRite T15 SWG, Aquatherm AT115

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 5lb Check Valve....Or Just Use Ball Valve

It depends on your goals and the heaters specifications. If you need a bypass because the heater is being fed more water than it's maximum rated flow rate, then a spring loaded check valve is the way to go. If you are installing a bypass because you want to be able to manually bypass/disable the heater this preventing the flow restriction it causes then you want a manual valve.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Decided to use both!

Using a T to ball valve, then ball valves to in/out, then T to 5lb spring check valve. Better to be safe I guess.
    16k gal, IG pool and spa, pool 29x14, pebble, 1983, 1.5" plumbing, Pentair Intelliflo VSP, Pentair Quad DE, Zodiac Aqualink Z4-PSi, AquaRite T15 SWG, Aquatherm AT115

4. Back To Top    #4

5 lb check valve? That is going to add a lot of head loss. Why not a Jandy check valve? Or did you really mean 0.5 lbs?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

A 5.0 lb spring check valve is correct for a high flow rate heater bypass. You want the first 50-70 GPM to go through the heater, and the bypass/check valve to only open when the flow rate exceeds that.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Most heaters already have that kind of bypass built in so it seems redundant. What type of heater is this?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

It is an Aquatherm, basically same as Aquacal. If you read Aquacal literature, it says to install one if it exceeds 70GPM.

8. Back To Top    #8

That is a fairly low limit. Most heaters that I have looked at have much higher flow rate limits.
    Mark

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

It's a heat pump. It's always a good idea to install and external bypass. Since the heat pump has a spring check that all ready regulates the flow through the exchanger I don't see why adding another one would help. A simple ball valve should suffice.

If you have 1 1/2" piping back to the pool and spa, It's really tough to get 70gpm through it efficiently.
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool

10. Back To Top    #10

The issue is that I have no clue what GPM I will be at in my spa. There are only four returns in the spa, but my fear was that my wife would be asking for the VSP RPM to be increased, and I would go past the GPM limit of 70. If the consensus is that I will get nowhere close to 70GPM before the spa becomes a pressure washer, I won't install it.

So, what is the consensus?

11. Back To Top    #11

I can give you an estimate to flow rate with just a few questions.

Pump Make/Model#
    Pipe size pump to/from the pool (1.5" ?)
    Single or multiple runs pump to/from pool
    Distance pump to/from the pool
    Filter pressure at full speed in pool and spa modes (make sure gauge is working properly)
    Filter type (DE,Sand,Cartridge) and backwash valve size if there is one
    Height of the filter gauge relative to the water level
    Mark

12. Back To Top    #12

Mark,

Thanks for the response. This is going to be all new equipment, so not sure abou the info but:

Pentair 3HP Intelliflo VSP
    Single run to and from pool
    Pump to pool drain 30'
    Pump to skimmer 37'
    Will be DE 60sq. ft. Pentair Quad
    1.5" PVC piping, but spa return piping from Jandy valve is 2"

Thanks.

13. Back To Top    #13

The Intelliflo can deliver over 70 GPM on 1.5" plumbing especially since the runs are not that long. However, you can always limit the max speed on the Intelliflo as well so the flow rate never exceeds 70 GPM. Depending on the spa jets, you may never need more than that anyway.
    Mark

14. Back To Top    #14

I will probably put the valve in anyway. Can only be a benefit. Better than not installing it and finding out I need it!

Thanks.