Patio and Yard Sound System

Jun 29, 2014
Chino Hills, CA
Hi all - wanting some advice on how to set this up. Here's what I'm going for:

Patio (zone 1):
TV with decent sound system and ability to play music

Pool/Spa (zone 2):
Ability to play music or sound from TV (i.e. game is on)
4 patio mounted speakers pointing at pool plus a rock speaker near the spa

BBQ (zone 3):
2 speakers mounted on the BBQ patio cover

This is all new construction so there are no limitations on wiring etc. I would only want one music source meaning I wouldn't want my kids music at the spa and my music at the BBQ (my house, my music). I would like to have the ability to adjust volume at the BBQ and pool/spa zones as well. Thanks in advance.

Zone 1
sonos playbar and optional subwoofer if you want it.

Zone 2 and 3
As many sonos playones or playthrees as you need to fill out the sound. I doubt you would need more than one or two at each location. One playthree or 2 playones will create a large soundstage.

And add a boost with an ethernet cable to your router. This will allow you to play any music anywhere or play the tv sound anywhere. Also, you could play different music in each zone. Independent volume control or synched volume control. All controlled from as many iphones, androids, tabs as you want to load the app on. Sources can be ipod, computer music library, googleplay, jango, pandora, slacker, etc. No speaker wiring needed just power at each location.

And you can unplug them and take them inside or anywhere in your wifi area plug them in and listen to music anywhere you want.

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure the audio gurus will be along shortly! Might help if you post a pic of the overall area or give some dimensions on how far apart all these areas are.

Sonos Connect Amp is a great addition to drive speakers and add smartphone connectivity/control. We did that out back. If you are going to have a head unit outdoors, consider a marine unit (as you would install on a boat). You can get some really strong head units in a small form factor... plus they are made to be weatherproof.

Hi all - wanting some advice on how to set this up. Here's what I'm going for:

Patio (zone 1):
TV with decent sound system and ability to play music

Pool/Spa (zone 2):
4 patio mounted speakers pointing at pool plus a rock speaker near the spa

BBQ (zone 3):
2 speakers mounted on the BBQ patio cover

This is all new construction so there are no limitations on wiring etc. I would only want one music source meaning I wouldn't want my kids music at the spa and my music at the BBQ (my house, my music). I would like to have the ability to adjust volume at the BBQ and pool/spa zones as well. Thanks in advance.

I just wired a friends new construction home with a system from HTD.com

Its has 6 different zones, allows for 6 different sources, allows for independent volume control for each zone, each zone can have up to 4 speakers and it also has the ability to have a sub zones that the volume can be controlled differently from the zone that feeds it, but you are forced to listen to the same source that zone is listening too. It does NOT have the ability to do 5.1. Cant say for sure if it has the ability to have a subwoofer either.

They have digital keypads or analog keypads, there is also a optional Ipad interface that allows you to control the entire system via your iPhone. The keypads connect to the Amp/Controller via Cat5/6. Its very simple to install as well but if you go with this route don't listen to HTD about how they have you wire it PM me and ill tell you how to do it. Ended up wasting alot of speaker wire during it there way. I ended up redoing it my way and it not only made for a much easier install, it made it very neat, easy to access and saved roughly 150' of speaker wire doing it my way. If the HTD system is out of the price range Monoprice.com also has a WHA(Whole Home Audio) system you can get.

Just a option...

Wayne

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.