Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Thinking about a Solar Cover

1. Back To Top    #1

Knoxville, TN

Thinking about a Solar Cover

I live in East Tennessee and we have had some pretty war days already, supposed to get up to 68 today. I was thinking about getting a solar cover for my pool but is it really worth it? Will it actually help warm the water?

Also I don't really want to take up space on my pool deck with a reel, how hard would it be to manage without one?

It would be nice if I could do something to help get the water warmed up...
    15,000g | 16x32 Vinyl | Pentair Super-Flo VS | Intellichlor ic-20 | Pentair cartridge 320 sq ft

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Thinking about a Solar Cover

Consistent use of a solar cover should get you a roughly 5 degree temperature gain.

A reel is certainly nice to have, but hardly required. If you have enough room on the deck you can just pile the cover up there, or build a framework to pile it onto. Some people even stuff theirs into a bin (though I don't really recommend that).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Thinking about a Solar Cover

In my experience, they are great at adding a little heat like Jason said, but the big benefit is keeping heat in at night and on windy days. They really help here a lot.

Real or not, they are a huge pain in the neck to me. My pool is about 19X37 and that's a lot of heavy plastic to deal with.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr