And so it begins....

Charlie_R

TFP Expert
May 8, 2013
Mexico, MO
Decided to leave the pool uncovered this last winter. All the leaves were off the trees when I closed, so there isn't that much debris in the pool, just a lot of wind blown dust and dirt.

Pool started to turn a bit green, so I stuck a sump pump on it's side in the still ice covered water two weeks ago. Added chlorine to it, and now just have a cloudy muddy mess to clean up.

Firs test today showed I had 2.5 ppm chlorine left over from my addition.

Filling the pool now. Enough water in it to start the pump, suction through the vacuum port.

Now to get my heater going. rebuilding it this year, and will be posting pics and explanations as a go along, for those who are interested.

Here's to a great, trouble free season!

I've already had to backwash twice today, following the 20% rule of thumb.

Swept the bottom several times today, to try to keep as much of the crud in suspension, to be picked up by the filter.

Pump is off for the night, going to let the mud settle overnight, then vacuum first thing in the morning. I expect to have to BW at least once during the vacuuming. Yes, there is that much dirt and mud blown in. It's just a fact of life here in podunkville. Lots of windblown debris from the farms and dirt roads in the area.

I think most of the cloudiness is from that, with a minor bit of dead algae. We'll see how long it takes.

I've confirmed that it's just the after-effects of the slight green tinge. Last nights test was 7.0 FC, this morning 6.5, with .5 CC

Checked my CYA this morning, appears to be 30ish, average of 3 pours. When I closed the pool it was somewhere around 45. I drained 1/3 to bring the level below suction and return ports when closing, so that is about what I would have expected.

It sure is nice to know and understand what the pool needs, and be able to do proper testing. Yes, I know my FC is halfway between normal and SLAM for my CYA. I'll probably keep it there until I have clear water again, just to be sure. Water temperature is still a chilly 45, so I think I'll be ok with doing this.

Here's a note on the great amount of knowledge available here -- I've read a lot about the different types of filters here, and how best to take care of them. Without the tremendous knowledge and help available on this great forum, I wouldn't have had a clue about my latest adventure........

As many of you know, I scored a free pump and sand filter late last season. I cleaned it, what I thought was a good deep clean, before putting it into service. I was wrong.....

Vacuumed the pool a couple of weeks ago, and shut the pump off. Next day, turned it on to circulate before testing. Pool floor was clean before I started. I go back out half hour later to find all sorts of crud all over the bottom. Hmmm. Had to have come out of the filter, no other explanation fits.

Since the water is still way too cold to even think about getting in, I thought well, it'll be ok, until I can deep clean the filter again. Did that this morning, and couldn't get the hose to go all the way to the bottom. Ah HA! Reached in, and found the lower third was just huge clumps of sand and crud. Broke the clumps apart, and made sure all the sand was loose. As this particular filter doesn't have laterals at the bottom, I knew I was safe in carefully using a rake handle to stir everything around and help break up the clumps. Talk about a nasty mess coming out of the filter! After the water was coming out clear, I re-assembled the filter, and then backwashed, as suggested in Pool School. Even MORE crud came out!

Now I finally have a filter that just might do the job for many years to come. There is still one other thing I need to do for this filter. I need to find a proper o-ring for the standpipe to valve connection. I know there was one, as pieces of it came out along with all the crud.....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.