filter pressure dropping?

Mar 15, 2015
mobile al
Newbie pool owner here. Im slamming pool for the first time. Its very green. Ive ran the pump/filter for hours before and had no problem but now my pressure is dropping from 20 psi (where it usually is) to almost nothing. Ive wasted and backwashed and that helps for abt 15 min then back to around 5psi. Any ideas?

My clean pressure is usually around 18psi. I know that the motor is a 1hp. The equimpment is old and wasnt maintained very well by the previous owner. Most of the stickers are gone from the equimpment. Sorry i dont have any more info. No bubbles in the skimmer basket but i do have bubbles coming from one of my jets. There is a hairline crack in the clear lid on the pump cap that is sucking a little air. Not much though

I just found my pressure dropping during the slam process. Something I overlooked was the pump filter basket since I normally do this weekly during the season. It was clogged full of debris from the pollinating trees hindering the pump, hence the pressure drop. Cleaned it and back to normal. Might be something easy to check.

My clean pressure is usually around 18psi. I know that the motor is a 1hp. The equimpment is old and wasnt maintained very well by the previous owner. Most of the stickers are gone from the equimpment. Sorry i dont have any more info. No bubbles in the skimmer basket but i do have bubbles coming from one of my jets. There is a hairline crack in the clear lid on the pump cap that is sucking a little air. Not much though

You need to replace it ASAP no matter how tiny. This is really important.

Could I have a clogged return pipe somewhere?

A clogged return would give the opposite issue. As mark says above, check that too.

The one I'm referring to is under the clear plastic cap on your pump. It normally doesn't fill up as quickly as the skimmer basket, but if it is, that might be the issue, along with the crack you mentioned.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As Patrick_B says, if you are sucking air, your system will not work. Replace that Pump Strainer lid. If you keep it dry, you can temporarily seal it with duct tape.

Report back the results.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.