Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ammonium breakdown

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Ammonium breakdown

I'm reading sometimes one can have ammonium when opening a pool and it takes a lot of chlorine to remove it. My question is how many ppm of FC does it take to remove 1ppm of ammonium?

Just curious about the load on FC.
    16k AG Vinyl Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ammonium breakdown

I knew I read it somewhere. I did a little searching and found this thread
    For every 10 ppm CYA that is decomposed, it produces around 3.3 ppm ammonia (measured as ppm Nitrogen) and would require around 30 or so ppm FC to get rid of it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Actual chlorine required is often higher than that, because you lose chlorine to other things, not just breaking down the ammonia.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I realize there would be other things to lose chlorine to in the above mentioned case, but theoretically just wondering what the FC amount required to breakdown the ammonium and not other things.

I guess I should have said "ammonia" in my post but what about "ammonium"? Does it work out about the same or more or less?

I see ammonia is NH3 and ammonium is NH4 and I can see it would change his chemical equations but have no ideal to what or even if it would matter.
    16k AG Vinyl Sand Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Ammonium ion (NH4+) is in equilibrium with ammonia (NH3) where at usual pool pH it's mostly ammonia. It takes the same amount of chlorine to get rid of either. The reaction rate is effectively the same for either as well because it's hypochlorous acid reacting with ammonia, but when the pH goes up there's more ammonia but less hypochlorous acid, and vice versa.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks.
    16k AG Vinyl Sand Filter