Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Would it be practical to replace my pool pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

West Hills CA

Would it be practical to replace my pool pump?

My pool is 12500 gallons pumped by a 2 year old Pentair Whisperflow 011512 (3/4 hp). I've recently started to read up on variable speed pumps and was wondering if I should switch my current pump out to a variable speed model. Given the Whisperflow is already supposed to be energy efficient would I see any significant savings with a variable speed pump. My utility company is offering a $1000 rebate so let's assume the new pump will only cost me labor. I currently run my Whisperflow 6-8 hours. Does it make sense to make the switch? If so, what would you recommend. I'd like to increase my horsepower to have the ability of running my skimmer and pool cleaner at the same time which my Whisperflow doesn't do very well right now. Thanks in advance for any feedback!!!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Would it be practical to replace my pool pump?

Welcome to TFP!

If the rebate is really $1,000 then yes it totally make sense to switch. If the rebate is actually $100, then it depends on your electric rates.

A variable speed pump will save you somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4 of what you are spending now. If your electric rates are over $0.25/kWh it probably make sense to switch even without a rebate.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Longview, Texas

Re: Would it be practical to replace my pool pump?

for a 12,500 gallon pool, one of the smaller 1.5 HP VS pumps would make the most sense.
    Both Pentair and Hayward make them in the 1.5 HP versions.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge. Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!