Would it be practical to replace my pool pump?

Mar 20, 2015
West Hills CA
My pool is 12500 gallons pumped by a 2 year old Pentair Whisperflow 011512 (3/4 hp). I've recently started to read up on variable speed pumps and was wondering if I should switch my current pump out to a variable speed model. Given the Whisperflow is already supposed to be energy efficient would I see any significant savings with a variable speed pump. My utility company is offering a $1000 rebate so let's assume the new pump will only cost me labor. I currently run my Whisperflow 6-8 hours. Does it make sense to make the switch? If so, what would you recommend. I'd like to increase my horsepower to have the ability of running my skimmer and pool cleaner at the same time which my Whisperflow doesn't do very well right now. Thanks in advance for any feedback!!!

Welcome to TFP!

If the rebate is really $1,000 then yes it totally make sense to switch. If the rebate is actually $100, then it depends on your electric rates.

A variable speed pump will save you somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4 of what you are spending now. If your electric rates are over $0.25/kWh it probably make sense to switch even without a rebate.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.