Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: imPower and Marathon Electric pumps

1. Back To Top    #1

imPower and Marathon Electric pumps

Just found out that IMPower went bankrupt. So I have a 28 month old $550 pump....I mean paperweight. Run light is green, no error codes, motor doesn't run. I have turned off the breaker for 24 hours, no luck. Note I had error codes a couple of times in the past, the breaker fix worked then. All the buttons on the control panel are dead, non-functional. All the elec savings way outweighed by the cost of the pump.

And Pinch a Penny is still selling these locally.....

Took it to an electric motor shop who said that the windings test OK, but beyond that they can't tell. Would have to send the panel off to be tested and repaired, 10 days and N dollars......

Will replace this with either a single speed or something similar, and stick this on eBay and also look for another one on eBay and start switching parts around.

Yep, not a happy camper right now, cost me $500+ and so it cost me money rather than the other way around.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: imPower and Marathon Electric pumps

Welcome to TFP!

Bankruptcy doesn't necessarily mean they are out of business. Have you been in touch with the company?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Local motor shop as well as Pinch a Penny have given up getting to anyone, and I have gotten nowhere so far either. Good point though about the bankruptcy....

The 1-800 number in their manual seems to be directed to another company right now,

4. Back To Top    #4

If you're going to replace the motor, use a 2-speed. Any water features?
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by bobodaclown View Post
    If you're going to replace the motor, use a 2-speed. Any water features?
    Do you mean like waterfalls etc? Yes 3 across a back wall of the pool. Pool is approx 11k gallons, 25x13.

Or did you mean something else?

I am going to Pinch a Penny tonight and talk about alternatives including a 2 speed for $409 vs a single speed for about $250

Thanks!

6. Back To Top    #6

You can replace just the motor and keep the wet end
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, looking at a V Green 165 Centurion (I think), 549 with 3 variable speeds. I was offered the last impower in the store for $300 cash. Thought about it but declined in the end, will list he old motor unit on ebay and at the same time keep a search running for a similar one with bad motor