Chem Storage Question

I'd like to know if its acceptable practice to store pool chemicals (acid, liquid Cl, stabilizer) together in an outdoor storage bin? Something like this

I'm in Florida -- so +90F weather is common. I would keep it in a shaded area however. Also, intend to keep a lock on it.

Thanks for the input.

It depends on how much liquid CL you're planning on keeping onhand. I personally buy 1-2wks worth at a time. I keep all my Chlorine in my laundry room storage. Climate controlled helps slow its degradation. I figure I'm paying enough for the stuff, I want it to be as strong as it can be.

M.A. and stabilizer are fine to be stored in the heat as far as I know. I keep mine in an outdoor shed.

You don't want to store acid and chlorine in the same location, or they need to be separated by something leak proof. Acid plus chlorine produces chlorine gas, which can be deadly.

Chlorine tends to degrade due to heat. The other chemicals are more or less fine with outdoor storage.

I have that exact container and use it for my acid, bucket of tabs, baking soda, CH up and a few other assorted things. I use old cat litter plastic buckets inside so that everything (except the tab that are in their own bucket) is in an individual bucket. If a bottle of acid were to leak, it would be contained in its bucket.

It may seem strange, but my pool equipment is in the crawl space under my house. But, this part of the crawl is 12 feet high with a normal entrance door. I keep my bleach here on a set of shelves next to the Stenner pump tank.

I do not keep my chlorine in the container in the yard, but as mrcarcrazy siad, it may depend on how much. In Orlando you should have access to the good 10/12.5% chlorinating liquid. It degrades a little quicker than bleach, so don't buy too much at once.

Keep in mind that container does hold in the odors, so don't stick your head right down next to it as you open it. I also leave the lid up while I work on the pool to let it air out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.