Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chem Storage Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Chem Storage Question

I'd like to know if its acceptable practice to store pool chemicals (acid, liquid Cl, stabilizer) together in an outdoor storage bin? Something like this

I'm in Florida -- so +90F weather is common. I would keep it in a shaded area however. Also, intend to keep a lock on it.

Thanks for the input.
    IG 25k gal. w/ screen enclosure
    Sta-Rite/AOSmith 1.5hp pump
    Pentair 200sqft cartridge filter
    SWG PureChlor 40k gal rated(aka Solaxx/Reliant)

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Chem Storage Question

Quote Originally Posted by J3G View Post
    I'd like to know if its acceptable practice to store pool chemicals (acid, liquid Cl, stabilizer) together in an outdoor storage bin? Something like this

I'm in Florida -- so +90F weather is common. I would keep it in a shaded area however. Also, intend to keep a lock on it.

Thanks for the input.
    It depends on how much liquid CL you're planning on keeping onhand. I personally buy 1-2wks worth at a time. I keep all my Chlorine in my laundry room storage. Climate controlled helps slow its degradation. I figure I'm paying enough for the stuff, I want it to be as strong as it can be.

M.A. and stabilizer are fine to be stored in the heat as far as I know. I keep mine in an outdoor shed.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

3. Back To Top    #3

You don't want to store acid and chlorine in the same location, or they need to be separated by something leak proof. Acid plus chlorine produces chlorine gas, which can be deadly.

Chlorine tends to degrade due to heat. The other chemicals are more or less fine with outdoor storage.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I have that exact container and use it for my acid, bucket of tabs, baking soda, CH up and a few other assorted things. I use old cat litter plastic buckets inside so that everything (except the tab that are in their own bucket) is in an individual bucket. If a bottle of acid were to leak, it would be contained in its bucket.

It may seem strange, but my pool equipment is in the crawl space under my house. But, this part of the crawl is 12 feet high with a normal entrance door. I keep my bleach here on a set of shelves next to the Stenner pump tank.

I do not keep my chlorine in the container in the yard, but as mrcarcrazy siad, it may depend on how much. In Orlando you should have access to the good 10/12.5% chlorinating liquid. It degrades a little quicker than bleach, so don't buy too much at once.

Keep in mind that container does hold in the odors, so don't stick your head right down next to it as you open it. I also leave the lid up while I work on the pool to let it air out.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

Great - thanks for advice everyone!
    IG 25k gal. w/ screen enclosure
    Sta-Rite/AOSmith 1.5hp pump
    Pentair 200sqft cartridge filter
    SWG PureChlor 40k gal rated(aka Solaxx/Reliant)