Cell at 80% - still producing chlorine with blinking light?

tomzo

LifeTime Supporter
May 29, 2011
Escondido, CA
Greetings,

I have a Pentair IC40 that was installed in late 2010 and the "Cell" light was blinking green. The flow and salt lights were good so I pulled it out to clean. It had a good deal of buildup so I acid washed it completely and reinstalled. The blinking green light is still blinking. I held down the "More" button and got a read out of 80% telling me that it is about time to get a new cell.

My question is: does this blinking just mean that I need to be aware of the end of life or does it mean that I am not producing chlorine? My pool seems just fine now but is it about to take a walk down the green side? Since it took 3.5 years to get to 80% I figured I might have another 5 months until I complete the process.

Thanks

This is the manual for that SWG : http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/IntelliChlorElectronicChlorineGenerator520589J.pdf

Page 7
IntelliChlor Electronic Chlorine Generator Installation and User’s Guide

Green LED (Flashing):
Salt level is above 4500 ppm. Chlorine is being produced but the salt level is too high which increases the risk of corrosion and deterioration of pool equipment and surfaces in and around the pool. Pool water needs to be drained and refilled one (1) foot at a time until the salt level is below 4500 ppm.

kiss4afrog, that is from the Salt Level Green LED flashing description. I believe tomzo said the Cell LED was flashing green, which is:

The IECG needs to be inspected. The blades may have calcium buildup. The IECG is not producing chlorine. If the Cell green LED is flashing with the Check Salt LED, it indicates the salt level in the pool needs to be checked, adding if necessary, and the IECG needs to be inspected and cleaned if necessary.

Thanks for all of the replies - I truly appreciate it. I checked the diagnostics on the Easy Touch and it simply said to clean the cell. I had just done that but did it a second time. When I had the cell out I took a closer look and the very center plate was missing from one end and when I looked at the other end I could see a bit of it left, leaning against the neighboring plate. I managed to get it out with a thin screwdriver and needle nose pliers. I restarted the system just now and had to leave before the system initiated but my guess is that it is toast. I will be on Amazon ordering a replacement cell later today!

Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.