Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I'm new here

1. Back To Top    #1

I'm new here

But I have had my pool for about 20 years now. I've looked around and this certainly looks like a very good forum. I look forward to contributing if I can. TIA for your help.
    Long Island, NY. 18x36 vinyl liner pool installed 1992. (new liner about 2012.) 1.5 hp whisperflo pump (new 2015) with a hayward de filter (new 2005). Rheem natural gas heater 336k btu (new 2015). I'm rebuilding it a piece at a time.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I'm new here

Welcome to TFP!
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Welcome to the forum adl6009

Curious why you'd swap from a heat pump to a gas heater ? Replacement cost or ??
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by kiss4afrog View Post
    Welcome to the forum adl6009

Curious why you'd swap from a heat pump to a gas heater ? Replacement cost or ??
    Two major reasons, first is cost of operation. While I don't have hard numbers to back me up, you can come over anytime and watch my electric meter literally sing as it spins faster and faster. I was taken in with the advertised savings that I have not seen in practice. Secondly the poor performance is a killer. I open the pool in June and run the heater for 2 weeks at 8 hours a day and I barley get a change in temp. Maybe 10 F, typically hover around 75f at this point. BY early July I got it up above 80f , and still run lots of hours. After this the heater is ok at maintaining a temp, it will run a few hours in the morning and shut down by noon maybe. Come September its another losing battle against the forces of nature. A couple of hard factors, the heater is rated at 115k btu, thats not that powerful. My pool is in the shadow of a large tree untill noon. It is better than before the heater. Back then I didn't even swim in the pool, the temp would hover around 72f. Ok for air conditioning but not my pool.
    Long Island, NY. 18x36 vinyl liner pool installed 1992. (new liner about 2012.) 1.5 hp whisperflo pump (new 2015) with a hayward de filter (new 2005). Rheem natural gas heater 336k btu (new 2015). I'm rebuilding it a piece at a time.

6. Back To Top    #6

+1 to doing it for the grandkids. Welcome to the forum.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome to TFP!

Maybe we can show you some new tricks and hopefully you'll show us some. Enjoy the forums.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem