Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need help selecting a solar controller.

1. Back To Top    #1

Need help selecting a solar controller.

Hey guys, we installed a single fafco solar panel on a rack in the backyard last year and would now like to add a solar controller to turn it on/off based on temperature. I was looking at the pentair sun touch, is this our best option? Seems to be a lot of options. We have simple agp setup, nothing fancy. Can someone please link me to what I would need to install this? Thanks!
    24' AGP, 54" - 13,300 Gallons at 47".
    AquaRay Cleaner
    Hayward Swimpro Voyager Filter/2 Speed 2 HP Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need help selecting a solar controller.

I have the Pentair Solartouch and it works great. It monitors water temp and panel temp and when solar heat is available it opens the valve and turns up the pump speed on my Pentair VS pump. I don't know how or if it would work with the Hayward 2 speed pump. But, it will definitely open the valve when it is hot.

sunplay.com has them for 260 bucks.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Would you mind linking me to it? Cheapest I'm seeing on there is $399. Thanks!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

There is also the Hayward GL-235, a solid unit that is about as simple as they come. It should be just slightly less expensive than then SolarTouch. The main difference is it doesn't understand variable speed pumps.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the link.
    Jason, our pump is two speeds, but I don't think that's considered "variable" right? Simples good. The pentair seems to have a ton of options we'd never use.

7. Back To Top    #7

correct, two speed is not variable speed.
    TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

A true variable has an open band your pump is not variable because you select either basically gear 1 or gear 2 there are only two speeds

9. Back To Top    #9

I went ahead and got the Pentair, $249, free shipping. Anyone know if there's a DIY guide anywhere for the install? The manual is 80+ pages and covers a lot of stuff we don't have.

Thanks!
    24' AGP, 54" - 13,300 Gallons at 47".
    AquaRay Cleaner
    Hayward Swimpro Voyager Filter/2 Speed 2 HP Pump