Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is this considered cloudy ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is this considered cloudy ?

Long story short.

My CYA level was at like 200.
    CH was at 750.

This was before I fired the pool guy and started TFP method.
    I replaced about 40% of water after which the pool looked very clear.

Today I saw that it was not as clear as it was just after replacing water.

My current CYA level is 90-100
    CH - 625

It may be a false observation since I am new to this. I have attached a pic. Its 7pm PST so its not that bright outside.

-Prasad
    Attached Images Attached Images
    30,000 gal,20'x40' IG (3-8.5 with diving board) ,Plaster,Pentair S8D110, Type of filer - DE,TF-100 test kit
    Poolsafe Automatic pool cover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is this considered cloudy ?

I wouldn't call that cloudy, though it could easily be less than perfect. The drain(?) grate is very clearly visible, as is the pool cleaner.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you. It's definitely not as clear as it was when I replaced 40% water and I am just maintaining a high level of chlorine since I do not want to replace any more water due to drought and high water bill.
    30,000 gal,20'x40' IG (3-8.5 with diving board) ,Plaster,Pentair S8D110, Type of filer - DE,TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Getting the water clarity perfect when nothing major is wrong is primarily a function of getting all of your levels balanced just right and giving it a little time. If you post a complete set of water test results we might have a specific suggestion.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Your question makes me laugh because when I ask that question, the answer is always but I never want to believe it. It usually takes me a day to accept that my readings are absolutely correct
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

6. Back To Top    #6

You'd only call that cloudy if you're a pool snob. But pool snobs only consider water to be clear when they can toss a quarter in the deep end and call heads or tails from the deck.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks everyone. You assured my confidence.

My current levels.
    FC - 8
    CYA - Around 100
    CH - 625
    PH - 7.5
    TA - 16

The water looks clear and hasn't become any more cloudy than it was before.
    I know I need to replace water for the high CYA and CH levels. I already replaced 40% and will probably not replace anymore due to severe drought and will maintain a high level of chlorine (liquid chlorine, no pucks).

Thanks everyone.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    You'd only call that cloudy if you're a pool snob. But pool snobs only consider water to be clear when they can toss a quarter in the deep end and call heads or tails from the deck.
    Once my water temp is high enough for me to fetch the quarter I'm going to do that. I'll have my wife look though, as I'm blind.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor