should I open my pool this early?

Apr 28, 2010
Central NJ
I'm considering opening my pool on Saturday as it is turning green but with two nights in the twenties, I'm worried of the water freezing. Should I open it and treat the water before it gets worse or let it be for another week? if I open it, do I let the pump run overnight when the temp is below freezing?

where are you located?
what is the temperature now?

You are way better off opening a little early, preferably before the water gets above 50.

If you dont anticipate an extended freeze, in the low 20s for days, then you will be fine.
And yes, run your pump if the temp is below 32.

ahhh... ok.

If I were you, I would go ahead and get it up and going and go ahead and SLAM it now, before the water gets much warmer which will make the algae grow faster.
Just run the pump and you will be fine if it gets below freezing.

I never close my pool and contrary to popular belief, it does get cold in Texas on occasion. Last year, high/low as 20s/teens for 2 weeks straight.
Almost as cold this year and none of us TFPers here in Texas had any problem. (we mihgt have been a wee bit nervous though!)
:)

You sure you want to open with a snow storm on it's way?

Yes my location would help, I'm in Central NJ. I usually open about three weeks later, but I couldn't cover the pool this winter and the pool is turning green earlier than usual. hence my question.

Or wait a day or two until this storm passes.
Please enter the location into your profile. That way it pops up when you post. ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My pool still has ice on it, I think. Time to peak under the winter cover! I wait until the water temp hits 50, then the cover comes off and I get things started. Usually that gives me time, in case there is something that needs fixing during opening before the water starts having trouble.

Divin Dave said:
I never close my pool and contrary to popular belief, it does get cold in Texas on occasion. Last year, high/low as 20s/teens for 2 weeks straight.
Almost as cold this year and none of us TFPers here in Texas had any problem. (we mihgt have been a wee bit nervous though!)
You got that right on all counts, Dave!

jrguzmanr: If it is convenient for you to open the pool this weekend, I would do it. If an early spring snow comes along, I wouldn't sweat it. Just make sure the pump is running if temps get below 32°F just to be extra safe. We had 5+" of snow a couple of weeks ago here in DFW (yes, really!). It posed no problem for the pool - just made sure the pump was on while temps were below freezing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.