Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: should I open my pool this early?

1. Back To Top    #1

should I open my pool this early?

I'm considering opening my pool on Saturday as it is turning green but with two nights in the twenties, I'm worried of the water freezing. Should I open it and treat the water before it gets worse or let it be for another week? if I open it, do I let the pump run overnight when the temp is below freezing?
    23K gallon, IG, Vinyl, Hayward DE-3600 Filter, Raypak 406A Heater, Hayward 1.5HP SP2610X15 pump aka AO Smith UST1152, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: should I open my pool this early?

where are you located?
    what is the temperature now?

You are way better off opening a little early, preferably before the water gets above 50.

If you dont anticipate an extended freeze, in the low 20s for days, then you will be fine.
    And yes, run your pump if the temp is below 32.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes my location would help, I'm in Central NJ. I usually open about three weeks later, but I couldn't cover the pool this winter and the pool is turning green earlier than usual. hence my question.

thanks
    23K gallon, IG, Vinyl, Hayward DE-3600 Filter, Raypak 406A Heater, Hayward 1.5HP SP2610X15 pump aka AO Smith UST1152, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

ahhh... ok.

If I were you, I would go ahead and get it up and going and go ahead and SLAM it now, before the water gets much warmer which will make the algae grow faster.
    Just run the pump and you will be fine if it gets below freezing.

I never close my pool and contrary to popular belief, it does get cold in Texas on occasion. Last year, high/low as 20s/teens for 2 weeks straight.
    Almost as cold this year and none of us TFPers here in Texas had any problem. (we mihgt have been a wee bit nervous though!)
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

The odds of a hard freeze are getting fairly slim in NJ, opening is probably alright, though it is tricky to be sure.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

You sure you want to open with a snow storm on it's way?
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

By 10am tomorrow temps should be above freezing. Lows expected at about 27 degrees. With pump running, should be fine. What's the current water temp?
    Central TX / 12K GAL / IG / SWG / DE filter / Pentair SVRS & 3 swim jet pumps / Spa bench and jets / Single body of water / No heater.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by jrguzmanr View Post
    Yes my location would help, I'm in Central NJ. I usually open about three weeks later, but I couldn't cover the pool this winter and the pool is turning green earlier than usual. hence my question.
    Or wait a day or two until this storm passes.
    Please enter the location into your profile. That way it pops up when you post.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

I always open early by hooking up the pump and running it to balance the water. But I leave the cover on for another month or so. It helps protect the chlorine from the sun.
    19,000 gal - Vinyl IG - Sand filter -1.5hp. - Taylor k 2006 - Loop Loc cover

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by samt View Post
    I always open early by hooking up the pump and running it to balance the water. But I leave the cover on for another month or so. It helps protect the chlorine from the sun.
    This is exactly what I do, too.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

11. Back To Top    #11

My pool still has ice on it, I think. Time to peak under the winter cover! I wait until the water temp hits 50, then the cover comes off and I get things started. Usually that gives me time, in case there is something that needs fixing during opening before the water starts having trouble.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Divin Dave
    I never close my pool and contrary to popular belief, it does get cold in Texas on occasion. Last year, high/low as 20s/teens for 2 weeks straight.
    Almost as cold this year and none of us TFPers here in Texas had any problem. (we mihgt have been a wee bit nervous though!)
    You got that right on all counts, Dave!

jrguzmanr: If it is convenient for you to open the pool this weekend, I would do it. If an early spring snow comes along, I wouldn't sweat it. Just make sure the pump is running if temps get below 32F just to be extra safe. We had 5+" of snow a couple of weeks ago here in DFW (yes, really!). It posed no problem for the pool - just made sure the pump was on while temps were below freezing.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.