Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vacuum my pool using my filter pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

Vacuum my pool using my filter pump?

I have the pool in my signature. I'm wanting to vacuum it out like a in ground pool. I have seen before where you could get a hose that could be connected to my Intex 2,500 gph filter pump. This way I could vacuum the pool and everything that gets sucked up goes into the cartridge filter.\\I currently use the catfish battery powered underwater vacuum and it is OK but lacks the power that any hose and vacuum tip would have connected directly to my pump. Any suggestions are appreciated.
    6,618 gallon above ground Intex Easy Set model 10320 inflatable ring 18' X 48" rubber pool.
    Intex model T633 2,500 GPH single speed 1/2 hp filter pump.
    Rinz-N-Reuz Replacement Filter.
    Intex 120V Krystal Clear Saltwater System CG-28669 with E.C.O.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vacuum my pool using my filter pump?

My opinion is that you would want to upgrade to a Hayward Skimmer and then you could use a suction side cleaner. I like the Kreepy KrAuly Lil Shark. Wait and those who are more experienced than I will come along. If you are curious about upgrading to a Hayward Skimmer, search the forum, many have done it without issues.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Hermskii View Post
    I have the pool in my signature. I'm wanting to vacuum it out like a in ground pool. I have seen before where you could get a hose that could be connected to my Intex 2,500 gph filter pump. This way I could vacuum the pool and everything that gets sucked up goes into the cartridge filter.\\I currently use the catfish battery powered underwater vacuum and it is OK but lacks the power that any hose and vacuum tip would have connected directly to my pump. Any suggestions are appreciated.
    Do you have the intex skimmer already? I use a 1 1/2" hose that I got from walmart, it has "adapters" to reduce it down to 1 1/4". All they are is a piece of clear tubing with 1 1/2" OD 1 1/4" ID. On my setup it fits perfectly in the blue screw on Intex port for the skimmer. I have a pole with a vacuum head that I manually vacuum my pool with. You just have to check the screen behind the intex port for obstructions that are bigger than the screen.

This is the adapter.

http://www.amazon.com/Surface-Intex-.../dp/B0050KAGOU
    Intex 15'x42" Metal Frame pool 4200 GAL with Intex SWG. TF-100 test kit. Our Pool Install Thread

In Work! Master Spas Legend Series LSI 557 3-4 person Hot Tub, 230 GAL using bromine to sanitize it. Hot Tub Install Thread

4. Back To Top    #4

Check out the The Coffee Bar on this site. I just listed a Hayward through the wall Skimmer. I don't think it would work with an inflatable ring pool, though. I have an intex vacuum that connects to the intake hole on my Intex Ultra. I do have a powerful Hayward pump and filter. Take a look at my Photobucket. Briar-Rose's Therapy Pool.
    http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/...19651867_n.jpg
    16' x 48" 5000 gal. Intex Ultra Frame AG Pool, Los Angeles, CA
    Hayward Full-Flow Cartridge Filter System with 2 Speed Power-Flo Matrix Pump,
    Intex SWG, Intex Wall Mount Surface Skimmer, Solar cover & Solar Roller,
    Confer Plastics A-Frame 7200 Adjustable Roll-Guard Safety Ladder,
    Kokido SkoobaMax Vac, Custom Canine entry & exit ramps,

5. Back To Top    #5

Oops, I missed that you have an inflatable ring. I doubt the Hayward Skimmer will work. Blacklisted has likely offered the best solution for your setup.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

6. Back To Top    #6

I have bestway vac set 58236, came with a bunch of different size adapters that screw direct onto the side outlets not sure if they are the same size as Intex

2500gph pump should be plenty for suction - I have a sand filter but it's only 1000gph setup and works perfect with the vac

Regarding cleaning the filter, my vac set has an inline leaf bag to catch the larger dirt, grass etc. which helps avoid clogging the filter, but I suggest to clean the filter anyhow after using the vac because any organic debris trapped in the filter will still consume chlorine.

most of the AGP vac sets have the inline leaf bag - e.g. Intex 28003 or Skooba vac have several similar models

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks folks for the replies. Yes, it is one of the rubber above ground pools. I love it. Each one will get better and better over the years I suspect but this one will go another year or two I suspect. Hey freetime, the model you listed does not come up anywhere but the updated version does. It is basically what I'm after but I want a better, longer more flexible hose. I will be able to locate this and I will post back. Thanks again all! I think I'll get what Blacklisted showed me too.
    6,618 gallon above ground Intex Easy Set model 10320 inflatable ring 18' X 48" rubber pool.
    Intex model T633 2,500 GPH single speed 1/2 hp filter pump.
    Rinz-N-Reuz Replacement Filter.
    Intex 120V Krystal Clear Saltwater System CG-28669 with E.C.O.

8. Back To Top    #8

I'm in Europe so perhaps we have different model numbers - but I'm sure you have a better choice locally than we have over here

I guarantee you will wonder how you coped without a vac - I lasted about two weeks before getting one, then had to upgrade the pump & filter too

+1 for trading up to a bigger and better pool - I'm only on my second year and upgraded to twice the size already
    4k gal 16' oval AGP
    Mega 1/3 HP Pump + 14" sand filter
    Palintest tablet DPD/PH/ALK - wish we could get a TF100 this side of the pond!
    Lovibond CYA