Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: MultiCyclone Centrifugal Filter

1. Back To Top    #1

MultiCyclone Centrifugal Filter

I am in the process of replacing all my pool/spa equipment and would love to add something like this.
    My pool gets ALOT of leaves and small pine needles that fill my pump strainer basket in seconds when I have to vacuum. Tons of leaves (especially during spring opening) and **** causes the basket to fill and I have to run into the house and down into the basement to switch off the pump and then empty the pump basket. This dance is sometimes repeated 5-10 times for a messy vaccum session. Is it feasible to put something like a Multicyclone 12 or 16 BEFORE the pump? All their literature shows the unit to be installed between the pump and the main filter.
    Pool Spa Combo: 16K gallon oval inground pool / 700 gallon spa
    Pump: Pentair VS / Filter: Sand/ Heater: Pentair MasterTemp 300K BTU
    SWG: Pentair Intellichlor 40 / Controls: Pentair EasyTouch
    Other info: Equipment located in the basement

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: MultiCyclone Centrifugal Filter

It appears to have as much if not more head loss than a filter. Adding a lot of head loss to the suction side can create a lot problems such as air leaks and even cavitation. I suspect that it would not work very well on the suction side and I would avoid using it on the pressure side too.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks - that is what I feared.
    It sure would be nice to have some sort of pre-screen for vacuuming.

4. Back To Top    #4

There are leaf catchers that fit into your vacuum hose.

Here's a quick google search:

https://www.google.com/search?source...i64l2.9842j0j8
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

Good suggestion. That is what I use.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks - i will try one of those this spring.

7. Back To Top    #7

We have TONS of trees that drop LOTS of stuff spring and fall also. And we have a Pentair VS pump. We run our pump on 1100rpm 24x7 with the skimmer/drain valve set to about 75% skimmer and 25% drain so that when skimmers get jammed FULL the pump still gets water. This works amazingly well and the skimmers often fill themselves up to the lid, above the water line, no idea how this happens but it is handy. Then we empty the two skimmer baskets as many times as we can all day and night. This keeps a lot of it off the pool bottom which takes a load off the pool sweep. Then we net out the leaves and junk when we get behind. Never tried or had a vacuum, but I can imagine your frustration with it filling up instantly.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

There are a few threads about the multicylone on TFP, do a search

Consensus seems to be that they do work - a poster was even complaining that the Muticyclone was catching the DE powder before it got to the sand filter
    4k gal 16' oval AGP
    Mega 1/3 HP Pump + 14" sand filter
    Palintest tablet DPD/PH/ALK - wish we could get a TF100 this side of the pond!
    Lovibond CYA