Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt Cell pipe sizing

1. Back To Top    #1

Los Angeles, CA

Salt Cell pipe sizing

I am using the Hayward T-Cell for my new pool build. The return pipes to the pool are 2.5 inches. The piping on the pump is 2.5, the piping on the filter is 2.5. The piping on the heater is 2.5. Why isn't there an option for the salt cell in 2.5???????

Seems like the 2 inch just puts a restriction in the whole system.

2. Back To Top    #2
    East Texas

Re: Salt Cell pipe sizing

Not an expert here, but I think 2.5 inch pvc pipe for a pool is not common at all.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

A short section of 2" pipe for the SWG in a 2 1/2" system will hardly make any difference at all. What matters is the average pipe size, not the smallest or largest pipe size. A short section of 2" will hardly effect the average size at all.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

The cell only needs about 13 gpm to activate. Most piping I the industry is 2". Use a reducer bushing. It will not choke the cell.
    Hayward Pool Tech
    80+ Years of Technologically Advanced Pool Product Manufacturing