Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Electric wire sizing

1. Back To Top    #1

Electric wire sizing

The breaker which will will supply my sub panel for my pool equip etc is 100 AMPS. The run is about 175 feet. Will #2 wire be sufficient size? My understanding is the ground doesn't need to be #2. What size should the ground wire be?

TIA

Jack

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Electric wire sizing

#2 copper should do the job. Check with a local electrician on the neutral wire size.

The sub panel should have it's own ground rod, with the neutral and ground bus bars isolated from each other.

Your local library may have a current copy of the National Electric Code, and it would be a good idea for you to check. If it does, there are several sections that are very important for you to know if you are doing your own pool wiring.

With all that said, hiring an electrician that has experience with pool installs would be the best way for you to keep you and your family safe. You don't want any electrical problems anywhere near your pool!
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

At 100 amps and 175' you need #1 AWG copper to keep the voltage drop manageable.

Is there a reason you're running 100 amp service to the sub panel?

Being funny like I am I'd run the same size conductor for the ground, but it only requires a #6 AWG ground conductor.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
    At 100 amps and 175' you need #1 AWG copper to keep the voltage drop manageable.

Is there a reason you're running 100 amp service to the sub panel?

Being funny like I am I'd run the same size conductor for the ground, but it only requires a #6 AWG ground conductor.
    I vote for the #1 as well... #1 neutral and at least #6 for ground but possibly even go to a #4 for ground...