Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poolside sound

1. Back To Top    #1

Poolside sound

I just got my pool installed in September, as part of my spring prep I installed a wired outdoor speaker system. Thought I would share what I did and see what others have done.

My system consists of the following:

4 x Polk Audio Atrium 4
    2 x TIC GS3 360 in ground speakers
    Yamaha RX-V577 (7.2 surround system)

I went with the Yamaha receiver for three reasons, 1.) it is 7.2 with a 7 channel stereo option. This allows me to drive all six speakers on their own output from the receiver. 2.) It is airplay compatible so I can airplay my extensive iTunes collection to the receiver for outdoor enjoyment. 3.) it has a companion app which allows me to control inputs and volume from my phone, no going inside to mess with it.

I ran the cables from laundry room out behind my vinyl siding to the four speakers mounted to the house. The two TIC speakers are run behind the sing down behind my gutter and under ground to the two far corners of the pool.

It's a lot of speakers but with all the speakers I should be able to keep the volume to a level that won't totally mess with the neighbors and still allow us to hear it in the pool.

In the future I want too add an outdoor projector, blow up screen and some other goodies that will let me do movies outside.

What do the rest of you do / have for poolside sound?
    15,000g | 16x32 Vinyl | Pentair Super-Flo VS | Intellichlor ic-20 | Pentair cartridge 320 sq ft

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Poolside sound

We have a pool house. We have a stereo set up inside the pool house. We just open up the sliding door and let the music flow!

Thankfully we live on 6.5 acres and our house is at the bottom of our property and my neighbor's house is at the front so.........They say they cannot hear it inside their house.

We are VERY careful to not let it go late into the night just in case they want their windows open though.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I know this may be a bit confusing because I cut and pasted from a Adobe file. This is the set-up I installed.

1 C4-SR250RSK-B SR-250 Remote and Recharging Station EA $300.00 $300.00
    C4-HC250-BL-1 HC-250 Controller with MyHome and EA
    Intercom Licenses
    1 $750.00 $750.00
    1 C4-16AMP3-B MULTI CHANNEL AMPLIFIER- V3 EA $2,495.00 $2,495.00
    Customize the audio signal to match the speakers and listening preferences for each individual zone./Control multiple zones
    as a single zone with Control4 Media Scenes
    1 C4-TUN2-E-B Multi-Tuner EA $599.99 $599.99
    1 C4-XMOD XM Module for Multi-Tuner EA $199.00 $199.00
    AWR-650-G 2 WAY ROCK ALL WEATHER SPEAKERS EA
    WOOFER AND TWO TWEETERS
    12 $299.99 $3,599.88
    AW-650-W 6.5" IMG Woofer 1" Titanium Tractix PR
    Horn Loaded Tweeter (white)
    1 $549.99 $549.99
    SB-5510HD-BL 55" Outdoor TV Pro Series 1080p Full EA
    HD, 120 Hz (black)
    1 $5,595.00 $5,595.00
    1 WM46 Sunbrite 46"/55" Articulating Mount EA $465.00 $465.00
    ENS202EXT 2.4GHz Wireless N300 access point EA
    supports 802.11b/g/n devices with
    speeds up to 300 Mbps.
    1 $149.99 $149.99
    WCS10-R-EXT-ZP Wireless Contact Relay (External EA
    Antenna) - Zigbee PRO
    1 $179.99 $179.99
    B-500-EXT-230-RS Single CAT5e/6 HDBaseT Extender EA
    (230 ft.), Bi-directional IR, RS 232, and
    POC
    1 $599.99 $599.99
    B3-AUD-2 BINARY CABLE B3-SERIES ANALOG EA
    AUDIO 2 METER
    3 $9.99 $29.97
    B6-HD-1 High Speed Licensed HDMI Cable with EA
    Ethernet 1 Meter
    3 $25.95 $77.85
    1 GSD-802PS Planet 8 Port Gigabit POE EA $279.99 $279.99
    1 PATCH-CAT6-2FT-BLK Cat 6 2ft Ethernet Patch Cable (Black) EA $4.99 $4.99
    1 SR-WM-10U Strong™ 10U Wall Mount Rack EA $299.95 $299.95
    SR-WM-SWING-10U- EA
    3IN
    StrongT 10U Wall Mount Rack Swing
    Kit
    1 $159.95 $159.95
    EP-400-UPS-8PS-825 Episode 8 Outlet Stand Alone AVR UPS EA
    with RJ45/RJ11 &RG6
    1 $259.99 $259.99
    NST-CAT6-1000-BLU Cables Cat 6 550MHz Unshielded 23/4 EA
    .58mm CMG-Rated Wire - 1000ft Nest
    in Box (Blue)
    500 $0.25 $125.00
    200 CAT6-SH Category 6 Shielded Cable FT $0.50 $100.00
    quote.rpt Printed: 9/2/2013 9:27:07AM Page
    1 $1,499.99 $1,499.99
    1 EA-AMP-SUB-1D-500 Episode Digital Subwoofer Amplifier EA $999.00 $999.00
    SP-164-DB Binary Cable 16 Gauge 4- Conductor FT
    Direct Buriel
    100 $0.50 $50.00
    3.00 INSTALLATION TEAM installation w/ team of techs HR $99.99 $299.97
    Two Technicians
    Item

- - - Updated - - -

Also this sub woofer that gets buried in the ground

UOM Sell Total
    ES-LS-BSUB-12 EpisodeŽ Landscape Series Burial EA
    Subwoofer with 12 in. Woofer (Copper
    Dome | Each)

4. Back To Top    #4

urbantux------What is the model # of your Yamaha receiver and how far are your speakers from the pool?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    urbantux------What is the model # of your Yamaha receiver and how far are your speakers from the pool?
    Model is the rx-v577, I would say 18-20' from house to edge of pool. The two TIC speakers are right at the edge of the pool deck so 8-10' from them to edge of pool
    15,000g | 16x32 Vinyl | Pentair Super-Flo VS | Intellichlor ic-20 | Pentair cartridge 320 sq ft

6. Back To Top    #6

SONOS

Inside and out, it will change music as you know it.

We use play3s outside because we have covered areas for them. If not get the amp and wire up outdoor speakers. Anyone with any device can play any music anywhere. It is beyond easy and adaptable. We also have our directv connected to the playbar so we can play the game everywhere. The only thing it isn't is cheap.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Wow I just have a lame kenwood marine radio in a waterproof cabinet with a couple of 5" Pyle outdoor speakers.
    20'x54" intex ultra Sand filter. with SWG Still work in progress will have Resin 24" fence around the top. Hooked to a 10x6 Deck that is attached to another 10'x6' Kids Club house. Slide from main deck into pool. Intex softwall lights. Kenwood Marine radio sealed in a deck box all Bluetooth controlled with Pyle 5" outdoor speakers.

8. Back To Top    #8

Not a dadgum thing wrong with that setup Havlc2u.

- - - Updated - - -

pooldv---------what speed is your wireless network with those? They tell me my "G" ain't gonna cut it. Really haven't looked into it much though.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

9. Back To Top    #9

Martin that is one crazy system! Subwoofer buried in the ground? Wow.

We just have 2 sonos play ones we can move outside, I can access my extensive music library,volume and EQ from my phone or tablet. I'm sold on Sonos.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    SONOS

Inside and out, it will change music as you know it.

We use play3s outside because we have covered areas for them. If not get the amp and wire up outdoor speakers. Anyone with any device can play any music anywhere. It is beyond easy and adaptable. We also have our directv connected to the playbar so we can play the game everywhere. The only thing it isn't is cheap.
    I'm saving up for the play bar! We have two play ones and love them!
    Completed 38'X21' IG Free form pool approx 18.5K gallons, sports pool w/spa and tanning shelf 3.5-5.5 ft. Jandy Cartridge Filter, Jandy stealth pumps, Jandy LXi Heater, I aqualink, Inline chlorinator. Click to see My Pool Build

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    Not a dadgum thing wrong with that setup Havlc2u.

- - - Updated - - -

pooldv---------what speed is your wireless network with those? They tell me my "G" ain't gonna cut it. Really haven't looked into it much though.

No doubt that there is nothing wrong with any set up as long as you can hear the tunes!

I do not know what speed my router is. It is the router provided by AT&T with my Uverse 18mb internet. We bought the BOOST and connected it directly to the router via ethernet to help with range and speed. It has worked flawlessly 100% of the time, no buffering or issues ever that I have noticed, streaming from Pandora, Slacker, Googleplay, Jango, etc.

From Sonos website:
    Sonos communicates over a 2.4GHz home network supporting 802.11b/g wireless technology.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rodog123 View Post
    Martin that is one crazy system! Subwoofer buried in the ground? Wow.

We just have 2 sonos play ones we can move outside, I can access my extensive music library,volume and EQ from my phone or tablet. I'm sold on Sonos.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm saving up for the play bar! We have two play ones and love them!
    Definitely have to save up for those little beauties, not cheap. Then you will NEED the subwoofer, also not cheap. My wife is like, hey we need a one here, a three here, another one here ... killin me! They are portable you know, no wiring required!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

11. Back To Top    #11

We have a Sonos whole house system with one amp for outside wired to Bose outdoor speakers. We really like the Sonos system and can control everything from our iphone's. I think we have over 5000 albums uploaded but also use Pandora a lot which is connected to the system.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

12. Back To Top    #12

Another vote for SONOS.

13. Back To Top    #13

Bose soundlink mini.
    11K gal IG screened-in plaster pool w/ spa
    pentair 150 cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflow VS pump,
    Aquarite AQR15 SWG, AquaCal Heatwave Heat Pump, TF-100 test kit

14. Back To Top    #14

I'm using a single outdoor "Rock" speaker which has Bluetooth capability and an internal amp which must be plugged in. I purchased the speaker at BestBuy. The speaker works great.
    20X36 IG vinyl (18,000 gal), 3 sheer descents, Max-Flo 1.5hp VS 2300, Aquarite T15 SWG, C3030 filter, 250,000 BTU heater, Sharkvac XL (Hayward equip)

15. Back To Top    #15

Wow Martin looks like you and I have the exact same setup😉!

16. Back To Top    #16

A company called D-Tronics spec'd and installed it. I have an electronics room in the house that runs all the A/V equipment inside and out

17. Back To Top    #17

We have a pergola that is on a raised area next to the pool/spa. I mounted a pair of Polk Atrium 8 outdoor speakers on the 2 posts of the pergola facing toward the pool/spa. I built a weatherproof cabinet and put an Onkyo network enabled receiver in it. It connects wirelessly to my home network so I have access to about 300 Gb of music on one of my home network servers. I control the receiver with my Android phone. Nothing fancy, but those Polk speakers can rock. We live on 2 acres so I really have to crank up the sound for the neighbors to hear it.
    Vince L

16' x 37' fiberglass pool, 8' fiberglass spa, Hayward Swimclear C3030 filter, Hayward EcoStar VS pump, Goldline Pro Logic PL-PS-8, Goldline SWCG, Goldline Sense & Dispense pH control, Fiberstars LED's in pool & spa, AquaCal SQ175R heat pump, SR Smith Typhoon slide, Polaris 9300xi robotic cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit

18. Back To Top    #18

Outdoor speaker depot rock speakers wired to Marantz 6007 zone 2. Works great using wifi to control it from my s5 in the pool.
    19K IG Pebbletec with attached spa. 60sqft Cartridge filter, Intelliflow VS, 399k BTU Gas Heater, Pentair IC40. Phoenix, AZ, full sun.

19. Back To Top    #19

I am just in the planning stages - looks like I will be doing a simple setup. I decided not to wire back to the house, but have a dedicated setup just for the pool.

So far the plan is to have a double gang water proof pvc box on one pergola post. In the box will be an electrical outlet and next to it this cool Bluetooth and AUX input amplifier.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/50-14825

Then anyone with a phone or tablet can send music to two speakers hung on the pergola. Right now I am planning on using the Polk Audio Atrium 4 speakers. When we want TV outside I am planning on running a Roku Stick with the TV for streaming, SlingTV and connection to our computer media library. We have a WiFi Router mounted facing the pool so we will have great coverage to connect to the Roku. I am also thinking of putting a small HDTV antenna on the top of the pergola to get broadcast stations for football TV pool parties this fall.
    2015 Build Link: 15'x30' Rectangle (3'-6", 5', 4' depth) 14,000 Gallon Pool, Finish: Wet Edge Primera Stone Black Kona. TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin DX5+S Robot, Jandy CL460 Filter, VS 2HP pump, AquaPure 1400 SWG, iAqualink2, Automatic Safety Cover. No Heater

20. Back To Top    #20

I am just finishing up my install now. My garage/pool house is adjacent to the pool. I installed a window in the garage wall and this is where the TV and an old yamaha HTR-5930 receiver sit. The tv is in lower half, receiver right at top, remote hits it good. I have two cambridge soundworks speakers under the eaves of my 1940's garage and will be installing wired Insignia Rock Speakers that are on sale at Best Buy in the opposite corners of pool. I also have the Logitech Bluetooth adapter plugged into receiver to pair iphones and such. I think the additional Rock speakers will help. The question now is do I set them up as the "rear speakers" or as speakers "B"?
    1971 Gunite 31x16 IG Kidney shape pool approx 18000 Gallons
    EcoFinish Blue Lagoon
    Sta-rite System3 S7M120 Cartridge Filter
    A.O. Smith 3/4 HP motor, starite pump
    TF100 test kit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast