DGA / QP pool base question

TheRob

Oct 13, 2014
NJ
I'm installing a 24' round AGP on a slope that is about 18" off level. My landscaper is going to prep the site as if it were a paver patio: excavate top soil, fill with DGA (or QP as some call it) and tamp. He suggested that the traditional concrete blocks under uprights are probably not needed, as the DGA base will essentially be one big block. It would certainly make it easier to just place the pool directly on the DGA surface, then spread sand inside. Has anyone ever done an install like this? Do you think I should still use the concrete blocks under the posts? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Rob

It is not clear to me what DGA/QP is.....crushed stone of some type????

So, while that gets sorted out I will say that an 18" fill will require a retaining wall of some type to hold it in place.

DGA = dense graded aggregate (this is what my landscaper calls it) or QP = quarry process (I've seen others on this board refer to it as this)

Landscaper calls it "crushed concrete" too. I guess it's a mix of crushed stone that ranges from 3/4" to powder/dust. He uses it all the time as the base for paver patios, installed on top of some kind of landscape fabric. Once it's installed, he says it will never move, settle, wash out, etc. When tamped on the fabric it

Re: retaining wall, I have planned accordingly for that much of a drop. I have extra space, so the entire area at the low side of the pool will be sloped off over several feet.

You should be fine to go ahead with your plans. With the crusher, it should be fine to set up on the solid base. Take pics n post them!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.