Newbie. Question about moving Equiptment

FlDave

Mar 18, 2015
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Hi All,

I've came here for a while seeking advice but it's time I registered and asked my own question.

We had a small (10-11K gallon) pool installed about a year ago. We're looking at adding a pool heater to extend our swim season, however at the same time we'd like to re-locate the pool equipment.

We're wanting to just move it about 15 feet with out adding any bends. Going from the back corner of the house, to just a little further up the side of the house. We're doing this for looks, noise, and space as the currently location cuts into our usable back yard space.

My question is... Referencing this post http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/19696-Equipment-Advice-Moving-Equipment-Pad

How do I go about preventing the pool from draining when I cut into the main line?
Is there something I can do to better prepare other than lowering the water line? I read people having valves ready to put in place but I'm unsure how the PVC glue would hold well enough if it got wet.

I though of covering the main drain up in the pool, but i'd have no way of covering the secondary main drain in the side wall of the pool.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

The pool will not have to be fully drained.
Is your floor drain plumbed to the skimmer of the equipment pad?
The pool will only drain down to the level of the pipes ... so you could just plug everything up in the pool and make sure you use a PVC solvent that can work if it is a little wet.

You should be able to remove the drain covers and that might make it possible to use a rubber plug or similar.

Unless I am missing something, your pool water will drain back to the pool when you cut the line(s). That will leave your pipes high and dry until you get all the couplings made and turn the pump back on.

The water level will drain to the lowest point. If you cut the pipes above ground, only the water in the line will come out. If you dig down to cut the line underground, the water will drain to that point unless you plug the lines in the pool. Do you have pictures so we can see exactly what you are talking about doing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you cut any pipe below the level of the water in the pool, the water in the pool will drain down to the level of the pipe. I did exactly what you are doing several years ago, and the flow of water was insane.

Here is how I did it. I got a 1.5" test plug and ground the metal piece down so the whole thing could pass through a gate valve. I cut the pipe, which was an experience in itself, then crammed the test plug into the end of the pipe. The flow was so heavy I had to stick my head under water in the hole to get the plug tightened. Once I got the test plug in place, I glued the gate valve onto the end of the pipe and let it cure. With the gate valve open, I unscrewed the test plug and pulled it out with needle nose pliers. Then I closed the gate valve. Now I could take my time and glue the new pipe onto the valve and finish my plumbing. When I was done, I opened the valve, checked for leaks and covered it with dirt.

An old plumber's trick is to cram the pipe full of bread to seal it off and then connect your coupler. I'm not sure that would have been possible.

Their are also internal plugs that you inflate through a hose that would have been better.

You can also get a system that freezes the water in the pipe with liquid nitrogen to block it off while you work.

When I did it, the water was too cold to swim, and I had a construction crew ready to pour concrete so I couldn't wait. If I'd been able to swim, I'd have tried a sheet of some kind of rubber or plastic over the drain to reduce the flow of water. I think the escaping water would have pulled it to the floor.

Because of the lay of my ground, my drain line was about 4ft below the water surface where I had to cut it.

Attachments

• 41btGEfJrbL._SY355_.jpg
    41btGEfJrbL._SY355_.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 64
When I did it, the water was too cold to swim, and I had a construction crew ready to pour concrete so I couldn't wait. If I'd been able to swim, I'd have tried a sheet of some kind of rubber or plastic over the drain to reduce the flow of water. I think the escaping water would have pulled it to the floor.

This is along the lines of what I was thinking. Buying caps to cover the returns/spa jets. Using a 5 gallon bucket over the main drain in hopes the suction would hold it down without damaging the pools surface.
The pool is in the upper 70's low 80's right now. If needed I'll throw on a wet suit and tank and dive down there.

I'll get some pictures of what I'm trying to accomplish tonight, because I really appreciate the guidance.
I'm good with power tools, and plumbing so I'd rather tackle this myself then hire someone. However, that being said if the pro's know something I don't... I'll hire someone.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've put some more thought into this...

Would it really be so bad to leave the values where they are at and just relocate the equipment? Doing this I could still adjust the water features visually using the values.
The image below is what I have in mind now. This should also prevent me from having to even get wet if I move it because I can shut off all the valves.

Thoughts? Concerns?

idea1.jpg

That would actually be a lot easier since you would only have 2 pipes to run over there.

Might look a little odd with the valves sitting there, but add some bushes or a little fence and it would look fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.