Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Options for eliminating chrome ladder handles

1. Back To Top    #1

Options for eliminating chrome ladder handles

I really want to do away with these chrome ladder handles. I can cut them off no problem, but I am wondering if there is anything I can put in their place etc. I am going to be refinishing the pool but its just a basic fiberglass/tile/coping, not looking to add a swimout. I think just the ladder steps will be enough for most people if they really want to get out in the deep end, but I am possibly not going with "safety grip" for the new coping.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Options for eliminating chrome ladder handles

Every county has different safety codes so before you go cut them out I would check with the planning and code division, I myself cut mine out when I redid some pool deck but I don't plan on selling my house anytime soon so I'm not worried about code

3. Back To Top    #3

It is easy enough to find compatible handles that are either powder coated or plastic coated in a variety of colors.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

So i just met with the pool refinisher. I always thought of a swim out as an area where the pool is cut back into the deck, but they are just going to add a ledge on the interior of the pool which should work nice.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

The thing I'd be concerned with besides code is possible liability IF, IF worst case someone couldn't get out and drowned.
    I agree with you that the average person should be able to pull themselves out but what if you, sig other, child, friend ... is out there and gets a severe cramp. I'm playing devils advocate and looking at worst case.
    Have you checked to see if they are removable without cutting? Why do you want to get rid of them ??
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Have you checked to see if they are removable without cutting?
    They probably will. A regular pool ladder should drop right into the previous cups set in the decking.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Cutting is necessary for sure, handles are set right into the concrete