Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PH reduced but TA did not

1. Back To Top    #1

PH reduced but TA did not

My TA was at 160ppm and PH at 7.8 (slightly above 7.8).
    I added 32 oz Muriatic acid and checked in the morning after running pump overnight.

PH has reduced to 7.6 or 7.7 but TA is still 160ppm.

I performed the tests twice and I also use speedstir.
    I tried with TF-100 and 2006 test kit. Same result. My drop size is good and I hold the bottle upside down completely (was doing this incorrectly in the initial days where it was slightly slanted)

Am I missing something.

-Prasad
    30,000 gal,20'x40' IG (3-8.5 with diving board) ,Plaster,Pentair S8D110, Type of filer - DE,TF-100 test kit
    Poolsafe Automatic pool cover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PH reduced but TA did not

With that addition of acid the TA will only be lowered by a few points and you will not see that amount show any difference on the TA test.

Use PoolMath and go to effects of adding chemicals section at the bottom of the page, insert all of your pool chem levels before using.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks @ping.
    The poolmath does not give numbers for reducing TA. It just says to reduce PH and then aerate.
    Since I have a automatic pool cover I did not want to reduce it way down to 7.2

I guess I will approach this gradually. Maybe open up the cover over weekends.

-Prasad
    30,000 gal,20'x40' IG (3-8.5 with diving board) ,Plaster,Pentair S8D110, Type of filer - DE,TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

See this link on the process to reduce the TA, http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...tal-alkalinity.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

5. Back To Top    #5

Actually PoolMath does give numbers for reducing TA. If you go to the "Effects of adding chemicals" at the bottom, enter an amount of Muriatic Acid added, it will calculate pH reduction and TA reduction for you.
    27,500 gallon in ground gunite/plaster (1995). Attached Spa with fountain, spillway, and 2 lion heads streaming into the pool. Hayward pump and AO Smith UST1152 1.5 hp motor (single speed). Hayward 60 sq ft DE Filter (Model DE-6000). Kreepy Krauly cleaner.

6. Back To Top    #6

Please add your pool volume to your signature ... makes it easier to help you.

If I guess at a volume of 24k, then 32 oz of acid would only lower the TA by about 5ppm ... within the accuracy of the test.

You need to follow the Lower Total Alkalinity process.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks everyone. Looks like I need to add about 300oz to reduce TA by 40 (160-->120) for 30k gal water.
    But this will lower PH drastically. So I will have to do it over a few weeks/months.

8. Back To Top    #8

Yep......it's a process. You can lower PH to 7.4 though.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!