Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Controller ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Controller ?

Starting to plan for upgrade pump from 1.5 single speed to 1.0 2 speed pump ..... would be nice to have a controller that would control pump times and speed and also the booster pump for the polaris ... AND control it from my smart phone ....... any reasonable suggestions? thanks ...mike ..
    24K Marcite 1.5 Pentair Pump 380 Polaris

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Controller ?

There is almost never a need to automate changing the speeds on a 2-speed pump. Just leave it on low most of the time, have a timer turn it on and off, have a timer turn the booster pump on and off. When you need to backwash or vacuum, then just manually flip on high speed.

There are certainly controllers that can do what you want, but they are in no way cheap ... especially adding the ability to control it from your phone ... which I can not fathom why one would need to do that.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Sir ......Where have you been? You can do everything with your phone! The pool is located about 50' from the house and the Pumps are located another 30' ... say unexpected guest show up late one afternoon ....I could reach in my pocket ..turn the pump on and maybe the light? ....or the pump has done its work for the day and an after Tshower comes along and blows debree in the pool .... I can reach in my pocket .... m

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

'70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by offthefront View Post
    Sir ......Where have you been? You can do everything with your phone! The pool is located about 50' from the house and the Pumps are located another 30' ... say unexpected guest show up late one afternoon ....I could reach in my pocket ..turn the pump on and maybe the light? ....or the pump has done its work for the day and an after Tshower comes along and blows debree in the pool .... I can reach in my pocket .... m
    I think had you put this info in your original message, the response would have been different.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

6. Back To Top    #6

For ~$1000, I will walk 80 feet both ways
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post

There just isn't any cool factor in that though
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    With stilettos on?
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by ps0303 View Post
    With stilettos on?
    Speaking from experience, and have some tips for Jason?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

10. Back To Top    #10

I guess if you are the type of person that needs your water heater and refrigerator to have bluetooth so you can monitor them ... then controlling your pool with your phone makes a little more sense than that.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

The cheapest way I know with Pentair is the Pentair EasyTouch PL4 Control System with ScreenLogic 522353. 750 bucks from sunplay.com Some assembly required.

http://www.sunplay.com/pentair-easyt...-system-522353
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    The cheapest way I know with Pentair is the Pentair EasyTouch PL4 Control System with ScreenLogic 522353. 750 bucks from sunplay.com Some assembly required.

http://www.sunplay.com/pentair-easyt...-system-522353
    hmmm .... getting closer .......... leme check with my consultant "jblizzle" (Dolphin Diagnostic Robotic Cleaner?) .......

13. Back To Top    #13

No idea how you can compare the use of a cleaner ... which is required ... to controlling the pool with your phone. I suppose by some stretch of the imagination they are both luxuries.

Spend your money however you like, as I said, personally I don't see the point.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by offthefront View Post
    hmmm .... getting closer .......... leme check with my consultant "jblizzle" (Dolphin Diagnostic Robotic Cleaner?) .......
    Could you use z-wave relays and a smartthings, or micasa hub to run it? The z wave relays woudlnt run the load directly, but you could use the z wave relays in a "pilot duty" manner to energize another relay. 3hp relays are not that expensive.

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/e...ixture-Module-

Or the PE653 that can be integrated into smart things http://community.smartthings.com/t/i...l-system/936/2
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool

15. Back To Top    #15

Having a remote dedicated to my pool controls is plenty good enough for me. Call me old and crusty, but I have enough stuff on my phone.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

"Old and Crusty" is when you walk out and flip a switch. I though I was really modern when I added a timer last year

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by kiss4afrog View Post
    "Old and Crusty" is when you walk out and flip a switch. I though I was really modern when I added a timer last year

I love my remote!!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links: