New to BBB method

Just a side note re:
Was hoping to get away from using jacks magic because it is so expensive. Any other alternatives?

I have well water with iron, so need a steady diet of sequestrant. I used to use jack's Pink. Last year after a tip from another poster, i found it more effective and slightly less expensive to use Metal Magic, purchased by the case from Poolgeek.com -- I think that gets it down to about $17/bottle with free shipping. I don't seem to need as much, but there are so many other variables, its not fair to jack's to say for sure. I just know I'm happier with the performance and price.

You mileage may vary but depending on where you're buying it and how much you're using, but you may want to check it out. Poolgeek ships fast and has excellent customer service.

Pool is still covered from what I can tell by peeking in it clear as far down as I can see. Test results below...
Cya -90 I did this a few times. With results in the 100-85 range. Keep in mind I am a newbie to this kit
Alk-100
Chlorine -0
Ch-325
ph between 7.8 & 8.2. Probably closer to the 8.2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get some Muratic Acid to have one hand for when you take the cover off.

The first thing you will do is make sure all of the equipment works.

Next use pool math http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html to see how much you will need to add to get your PH to 7.2. Let the pump run for 30 mins. and test again.

Once you get the PH to 7.2 you can start the SLAM!

Once that is done the only thing to do is sit back with a cold drink in your hand!

Kim

I missed the CYA-yes you will want to drain quite a bit of water to get it down to 30 or so.

The more CYA you have the more chlorine you will need so.........

Here is the link to the CYA/Chlorine chart. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

Play with putting numbers in and see what it does.

I have you at 25,000 gals. with a cya of 90 so you would need to KEEP your chlorine at 35!!!!! OUCH! That is 1014 oz. of 11% chlorine.

Yeah get you CYA down!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I believe that what Kim is saying about not draining below the bottom step may be because most steps don't have rebar tied into the rest of the pool and may heave with no weight on them, depending on how much sun your pool gets I've been told 30 is fine but most on this site stay at 40 for their CYA.

I would drain most if not all the water, if the water table is below the pool, and start over with a new batch of water so you can eliminate the use of sequestrants. If you want, you could chlorinate with tablets, no mineral cartridges, until the CYA is in the 30-50 range. Once the CYA hits the new target switch over to using bleach.

Follow our methods and you will avoid sequestrants, weekly shocking, and you will have sparkling clear water all year long.

If you drain near 100% you can use tablets until the CYA gets to around 50 and then switch to liquid chlorine. Just make sure you follow the FC/CYA chart and you will not need to use the weekly shock or algaecide. If you drain enough to keep the CYA at 30 then I recommend starting with liquid chlorine from the start. Either way is fine, it depends on how much you have to pay for the water and the amount of metals are in the water to begin with.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.