Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Drain pipes for landscape

1. Back To Top    #1

Drain pipes for landscape

I was taking pictures of my plumbing as suggested before they cover up the pipes and noticed that the drain pipes have duct tape on them. I asked my landscape contractor and he said that's how it is done. I thought it should be glued and couplings? Does anyone know?

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Drain pipes for landscape

What kind of drainpipe do you have....there is more than one. Do you have a pic?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I have seen this done on my neighbors landscape if you are talking about the large flex pipes for landscape drainage. They duct taped the fittings and the pipe to pipe connections. Pool pipes, in no way unless it's a temporary situation.
    12K gal, custom flipped kidney bean with spillover spa. All Pentair equipment, Whisperflo 1 1/2 HP, 400K BTU heater, Intellichlor IC 40 SWG, CCP-320 Cartridge filters, Kreepy Krauly pool cleaner with bootster pump, QuartzScapes in Aruba Sky blue, LED lights and travertine tiles for decking and stones on rear edge for landscaping. TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

4. Back To Top    #4

Landscaping drains don't normally carry water under force from a pump. The black flex pipes used for landscaping can be joined in a variety of ways. If the tape degrades in time and water leaks, it's only a bit of rain water that should escape. Landscape drain lines are generally used to move rain overflow from one area to another, but minor leaking is generally acceptable. In some cases, a weeping drain is used where the flex pipes have a pattern of holes that purposefully allow water to seep in and out of the lines while in transit to a destination (e.g. carry storm water under the yard to daylight downhill, while still allowing some water to escape into the yard).

Pool plumbing using white PVC pipes is chemically joined (glued/cemented) so it won't leak when carry water under force from the pump(s).

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jojoman View Post
    I have seen this done on my neighbors landscape if you are talking about the large flex pipes for landscape drainage. They duct taped the fittings and the pipe to pipe connections. Pool pipes, in no way unless it's a temporary situation.
    My landscape guy did come over and explained to me that they are drain pipes for landscape and not the pool. They are a white ribbed pipe and he said that is how it is done. I was comparing them to the pool plumbing pipes and they are smaller and glued with joint covers on them. Sorry, being the project manager of this project makes me a little nutty and paranoid. I did take lots of photos of where all the pipes are. Thanks for the help.