Ready for War

And just think... Before this site you'd of called it good enough! :mrgreen:

Yes, totally. I would have called it good enough a LONG time ago. My husband was really hoping the kids could swim today, but he's on board with getting it done right too :) Hopefully it's not too much longer, although I might not be able to confirm/stop until Friday morning!!! :mad:

OK no more CC right now. The most time consuming/annoying part of this is getting the right amount for the sample. I either dump out like 2 drops at a time and take forever, or I accidentally dump out too much and have to start over.
Some people do it that way. I've heard people here who can shake out just the right amount. I found that frustrating too. Now I use a sample bottle. Rinse and fill that from the pool, then I can pour and drip that into my tester as need. I don't need to stay by the pool for more water either. I find that much easier. I know there was a thread here once about what all people use to pull a sample. Some people even use long plastic pipes to get deeper into the pool.

Yes that is a really good idea. Definitely going to be using some type of squirt bottle. I started using one the last couple days when I've been diluting the samples and I can see it will be much easier.

Tuesday, 3/24 7:45pm
FC - 24

Added .5 gal Cl anticipating a little drop tonight. But nobody will be swimming tomorrow so I'm not going to bother trying an accurate OCLT tonight. I'm guessing I can test FC only one or two more times between now and Thursday evening so I might just be mostly adding Cl based on previous usage for a while.

Didn't test this morning - I'm going to test after dark tonight and then see if I have enough to retest before the sun comes up. Maybe we can get these kids swimming yet :)
I added 2 gal Cl this morning to try to last while I'm at work. Figured I might add another .5-1gal when I get home, but it looks like it will stay cloudy all day so we'll see.

I'm planning on trying out the refillable Cl jugs from Pinch a Penny today. I think they're 2.5 gal or something? Any tips as to the easiest way to manage with these? With the 1 gal bottles I just estimate about 1/2 bottle if I need to. Do you guys use something special to measure the correct amount of Cl?

Thanks I'll pick up something of that sort for pouring. I dumped directly out of the jug yesterday and it just seems like a mess and sort of dangerous. At least it does have marks on it so I can tell how much I'm using.

Well... I was having to be stingy with my reagent so I only tested once yesterday. I had added 3 gal Cl throughout the day so I figured it should be around or above 24, but...
Wednesday, 3/25 10:00pm
FC - 16

So. This was the first time I ever had hubby get the sample for me, but I can't imagine how that could have made it much lower than if I had done it, so I don't think that was the issue. I'm actually 7 months pregnant right now and was having a lot of contractions last night and was starting to get worried, so I was trying not to do anything, not even walk around. So he got the water, I tested it, and I told him to go put the rest of the jug of Cl in there, which was 2 gal.

This morning, I got my sample all prepared and....I only had 1 drop of reagent left. My refill should be here around 5pm, so I'll add a couple gallons today and check as soon as I can!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mail came early today! I added 2.5 gal earlier today and tested when we got home.

Thursday 3/26 3:30pm
FC - 20

I'm suspicious that the Cl jugs from Pinch a Penny aren't as strong as they say. Or the pool has had unusually high Cl demand the past 15 hours. If it's really 10.5% then it's been using an average of ~2ppm Cl per hour since 10:30 last night! Anyway I am glad to not have so many bottles filling up the recycle bin. We'll see how it goes.

I added 1.5 gal Cl and will check again after the kids are in bed and try another OCLT.

Thanks, Kim. Things seem to have calmed down a lot today but I'm trying to take it easy. I'm not ready to meet this kiddo quite yet!

I think we're done! {insert happy dance!}

After the 20 reading yesterday afternoon I had added 1.5 gal Cl because it really seemed to be burning off quickly and/or not as concentrated as I thought and I figured that would likely last for the rest of the afternoon and night. I tested after the sun went down and tested again when I woke up.

Thursday, 3/26 8:30pm
FC - 35

Friday, 3/27 7:15am
FC - 35
CC - 0.5

So I guess I overshot a little (or a lot...) on the Cl yesterday :oops: I guess if we had a mustard algae issue then I might have just taken care of that too hahaha! I'm a little surprised the CC isn't at 0 but oh well. We're curious how long it will take to get back below 24 and swim. I told hubby if it's sunny today I wouldn't be surprised if we're good for this afternoon.

Now I'm excited to figure out our routine for normal use and see how we do!!!

You all are my new favorite people! Thanks for the warm welcome and for the advice. I'll keep updated here for any other newbies trying to figure things out.

Just to update/finish the story:

The next day the FC was at 23.5 by 2:30pm. I told the family they were good to swim that afternoon as long as they didn't drink the water and showered afterward. They were so happy!

The next day FC was at 14, yesterday was 11.5, and tonight was 8.5. So I think it's time to start adding a daily dose of Cl. For my CYA, the target FC is 7 and min is 5. If it looks like I'll lose 2-3ppm Cl each day, then I'll add Cl each night to get me around 9? I'll see how that goes!

Glad to hear you have had success.

As to your comment about the bleach. I have learned many bargain brands are weak. I tend to stick with Walmart's bleach for generic as it is always fresh, and full strength.

You will learn your pool. Test every day so you can see what it is doing. After a while you will not need to test. You will be able to know just by the look, feel, smell what your pool needs. Test anyway to be on the safe side!

You did a wonderful job! Now comes the easy, cheap part! Spend some of the money you have been using to buy chlorine to buy some adult drinks! LOL

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.