Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: HELP! I spilled about 1 Cup of Behr concrete stain in my pool. Cloudy/milky

1. Back To Top    #1

Unhappy HELP! I spilled about 1 Cup of Behr concrete stain in my pool. Cloudy/milky

I spilled about 1 cup of Behr concrete solid color stain (Siliconized 100% Acrylic) Water based stain in my in ground pool. It is about 20,000 gallons. It immediately caused a milky white plum that spiraled upward. I have been running my pump for 3 days and cleaning the cartridge once a day. I shocked it right away and it seemed a bit better but it is still cloudy. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to clear up my pool? Getting worried it will never clear up and I will have to drain 20,000 gallons of water and start over. Thanks in advance

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: HELP! I spilled about 1 Cup of Behr concrete stain in my pool. Cloudy/milky

Welcome to TFP!

You want to run with the FC level a bit higher than normal for a week or two. Also, try adding an enzyme treatment, for example Pool Perfect. That will help break down the chemicals in the stain that chlorine is not as good at breaking down.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I am new to this so I am not sure what FC level is. I will go online and look for Pool Perfect. It seems the silicone is not breaking down. Is that was is causing the milky look to the pool?

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Unhappy Re: HELP! I spilled about 1 Cup of Behr concrete stain in my pool. Cloudy/milky

I found Pool Perfect plus Phos. Free. Is that the enzyme you were talking about? To increse the FC level....is that just shocking it with the chlorine? Sorry, I am new to all of this

6. Back To Top    #6

Much better if you can find it without the PhosFree. PhosFree is not needed, raises the price, and can cause cloudiness of it's own.

I wouldn't call what I am proposing "shocking", though the general idea is the same. Add some extra chlorine so there is more chlorine around to help break down the stain. But you don't need to add as much as you would when fighting algae.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you for your help. I am getting some today

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Welcome to the forum Shellielcj

Seems you're on track to clear up the concrete stain. Just curious who takes care of your pool as far as testing and treating the water ??
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!