Water Cloudy after adding clarifier

jrudge

Mar 18, 2015
London , UK
Hello

We are in the UK and have an indoor in ground pool - 70,000 litres.

I opened it last weekend.

Shocked it and got the PH right. Added some chlorine.

The PH and chlorine are good, but the water was slightly cloudy.

I had a bottle of clarifier which contained this POLY ALUMINIUM CHLORIDE PWD 10-30%

The instructions said 3l for 50,000 litres. I put in 3l ( for 70,000 litres) as it was not that cloudy).

The cloudiness has got worse and is not really showing any sign of clearing.

The filter is clean backwashed and has run 24/7 for the last 4 days.

I suspect that the clarifiyer has caused the issue - either too much of it or a reaction with something else.

The question is what now!

I assume I will now need to add another chemical (flocculant? ) to try and solve this, but until I get some decent advice don't want to do anything!

The pool has no history of water problems - it is normally clear. I used a different brand of clarifier once when the pool got dirty following extensive cleaning of the surround. This just cleared it up. The amount used however was much less ( say 0.5 of a litre - but it was a different brand).

Any help appreciated

Jeremy

Welcome to TFP!

I really doubt your cloudiness is caused by the clarifier. Many powdered pool chemicals such as "shock" and pH adjusters can cause cloudiness. Post a full set of test results and tell us what kind of chemicals you use and we'll try to help you out.

The first chlorinating product is calcium hypochlorite. It regularly causes clouding. You should measure you calcium hardness level to ensure you don't get it too high. In some cases, calcium can form hard deposits on pool surfaces.

The second chlorine source contains CYA, which can cause you to need higher chlorine levels for effective sanitation. You need to keep an eye on the CYA level.

The pH reducer can also cause clouding.

Better to use liquid chemicals to avoid the clouding issues and to control the calcium and CYA build-up you might experience. Sodium hypochlorite, also known as laundry bleach or liquid shock for chlorination. Hydrochloric acid, also known as muriatic acid in the US and spirits of salts in Europe for pH reduction.

If you aren't already, run your pump 24/7 to speed up clearing the cloudiness.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

The major tenants of this forum revolve around accurate test results and only adding what the pool needs. That is just not possible with test strips which have proven time and again to be inaccurate and inconsistent. I highly recommend you find a way to get you hands on one of the Recommended Test Kits, I am not sure what is easily available to you over there, although I think there are some threads that discuss this.

Have you discovered Pool School yet? I suggest starting with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.