What to do after refilling

Mar 17, 2015
Glendale/AZ
I emptied and refilled (9 days ago) my 12,300 gallon IG Plaster Pentair Intellioflo Variable speed pool due to high CYA and Calcium levels. I'm waiting for my Taylor k-2006c to come in the mail. I added 2.5lbs of CYA and the pool store tested the CYA level to be 30. I previously used tabs and shock to maintain the pool. I'm committed to using the TFP method now. My pool is in direct Arizona sun all day. I am hesitant to bring my CYA level to the 70-80 recommended for heavy sunlight. "If you have a SWG or very high levels of direct sunlight, CYA is typically kept between 70 and 80." Do I need to SLAM my pool after refilling? Should I add CYA to the 70-80 recommended for pools in heavy sunlight? Pool store test result:
FAC 0
TAC 0
CH 200
CYA 30
TA 110
pH 7.8
TDS 500
Pho 100
Thanks!

Until you get your test kit, you're working blind. Pool store tests are free and worth every penny you paid for it. Until you get your own results, I'd add 3 ppm FC every day. For a pool your size, that's 56 oz of 8.25% bleach. Just under half a jug every day.

If you are starting from scratch, use PoolMath.

2.5 pounds of stabilizer will add 24ppm of CYA to a 12,300 gallon pool. If you have any tablets left over, now would be a good time to use them to help maintain FC and raise the CYA.

It would certainly not hurt to raise the FC up a bit and Perform the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to see if you should SLAM. Kind of depends on what the water looked like before you drained and how thorough it was cleaned out.

Thanks for replying. The pool was clear and colorless before emptying. I just had a CYA of over 200. I purposefully undershot the pool math guide just to make sure I had my volume accurately. I have more CYA to bring it up. My biggest question I guess is do I really want to bring it to 70-80 since I'm in full sun? It just seems like the target and shock FC needs to be so much higher at the that level based on the FC/CYA chart that it would be difficult to maintain. Is there a test to determine if your CYA level is sufficient (like a during the sunlight CLT after you have a sufficient OCLT)? I won't be home to check it for a couple nights. Do most people float tabs when they aren't home?

Counter to what you are thinking, you lose less FC to the sun at the higher CYA levels. While the FC ppm might be higher, you would end up having to add less bleach each day.

That said, without a SWG, I would only go up to about 50ppm and see how things go.

I finally received my test kit. Here are my numbers from last night.

3.2 FC
0.2 CC
7.8 pH
150 TA
230 Ca
30 CYA

My FC was still 3.2 this morning. Everything seems pretty good to me. I want to check and see how much FC I lost in the sunlight today. I'm thinking about adding CYA to get it to about 50. What do you guys think? Thanks.

First, for the FAS-DPD test, use 10ml water sample so each drop is 0.5ppm ... save your reagent.

Your FC is already getting a little low ... with a CYA of 30ppm, you must never let it drop below 2ppm. So I would have raised it to 4-5ppm this morning (if not last night).

Watch that pH and do not let it get any higher.

In AZ, you will likely want your CYA closer to 50ppm as the summer intensifies.

Thanks for the reply Jason. I purposefully didn't add chlorine last night so I could see the overnight loss..just curious. I just checked:
1.0 FC
0.5 CC
7.8 pH.
Is that an unreasonable drop in FC for 1 day? I'm planning on dropping the pH to 7.8, raising the FC to 5, and raising the CYA to 40 (for now)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just to follow-up on jblizzle's comment...ok to do the OCLT (any night you want), so long as you know that ANY time your pool goes below the minimum FC for your CYA, that you are giving an open invitation for algae to join the party (if you are lucky it will be busy and decline the invitation). I would perform an OCLT at a higher starting FC level!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.