Leaving My Pool...What to do?

Nov 19, 2014
Homosassa, Florida
Still confused about the correct and best course of action when leaving my above ground pool in Central Florida for 5 months. We are snowbirds and leave Florida in Early May and return in early October. We installed an 18x33 above ground pool 2 months ago. I have enough experience with pools to know you have to check on them daily so my inclination is to shut off the pump. Of course I know that we will come back to a green pool and will be busy getting chemical levels back to normal for a few days. I've heard that SLAMMING can harm pool equipment due to the high levels of clorine that must be added. Another alternative is to just drain and refill the pool when we come back to Florida. Again there are risks to this too.... liner shrinkage before the pool is refilled regardless of how quick you refill it. What is the best way to go? I'd love to hear from someone from Central Florida or a similar climate who faces this issue and "solved" it.
What about dropping the water level down (half way?) BEFORE we leave?

Clearly you do not fully understand what we mean by the term "SLAMing". It is a name only used by the TFP forum to refer to the process to clear up the pool. This process was designed to lower the likelihood of any damage to the pool or equipment ... unlike what many pool stores suggest of dumping in a nuclear load of chlorine all at once.

Please review the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process

You are going to have a swamp whether you leave it full or drain it half way. I think I would rather leave it full for better structural integrity. But, I have no experience with AG pools.

If this were my pool, I'd raise the CYA to 60, SLAM the pool, drain to just under the return and cover it. Your liner will be fine. We northerners do this every year without issues, your pool is no different than mine or someone's in FL, OK, CA, SC, or NY.

Good Luck. If the pool fairs well, we are here. If it turns into the green lagoon, we are here.

It's just what I'd do. You throw a cover on a full pool and it rains, It's going to displace water in the pool.

Clearly you do not fully understand what we mean by the term "SLAMing". It is a name only used by the TFP forum to refer to the process to clear up the pool. This process was designed to lower the likelihood of any damage to the pool or equipment ... unlike what many pool stores suggest of dumping in a nuclear load of chlorine all at once.

Please review the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process

You are going to have a swamp whether you leave it full or drain it half way. I think I would rather leave it full for better structural integrity. But, I have no experience with AG pools.

FYI Jason, I did read about TFP Slamming. Even though it lowers the likelihood I am still reluctant especially since I would be doing it every year. I have a vinyl liner to worry about that you do not. I will not have a swamp because I would drain it out to the street and storm drains. Casey makes a good point. As much as it rains here in the summer I wouldn't want the pool to overflow. I don't have a solid cover just a solar cover.

Please point me to one post on this forum that says that the SLAM process, followed correctly, damaged any liner or equipment.

Where have you "... heard that SLAMMING can harm pool equipment "

I have been SLAM'ing my pool every September for several years, 2 pools, with zero issues with my liner Dave. When done properly, it does not cause damage. I would be very reluctant to drain the pool upon arrival home to clean it as you could unseat the liner and it could potentially rip.

I have a 100 dollar cover. It's blue on top n black on the bottom. You may get a great deal online right now since closing season is over by googling solid above ground pool covers. They only last about 3-5 years if that. I've found that the metal eyelets usually start to fall out of the cover where the metal cord goes through to sinch it down after first use. I'm unclear on how much ovals run price wise. I think you'd be best off SLAM'ing the pool with a CYA of 50-60 and draining off the pool and covering it. Maybe, if anything, hire a neighbor kid or adult, or pool store to pump the water off if you guys get a lot of rain. Deal with what's under the cover when you get home.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a 100 dollar cover. It's blue on top n black on the bottom. You may get a great deal online right now since closing season is over by googling solid above ground pool covers. They only last about 3-5 years if that. I've found that the metal eyelets usually start to fall out of the cover where the metal cord goes through to sinch it down after first use. I'm unclear on how much ovals run price wise. I think you'd be best off SLAM'ing the pool with a CYA of 50-60 and draining off the pool and covering it. Maybe, if anything, hire a neighbor kid or adult, or pool store to pump the water off if you guys get a lot of rain. Deal with what's under the cover when you get home.

I like your solution. What do you mean by "draining off the pool"?

The cover. The rain water is going to collect on the cover. If you get a lot, you may want to have someone on stand by to watch it is all.

Pump the water out by using a sump pump and hose. Lower it to just below the return. As the rain sits on the cover, it will push excess water out of the return. Pack your equipment away in a safe place while gone. When you get home, drain water off cover with sump pump, take cover off, hook up filter n pump, fill the pool and start circulation, test water and SLAM it to clear it up if green. Your equipment will not be harmed in any way.

I drain mine to just below the return and it's always a foot below the return upon opening because of rain water displacing pool water.

Pump the water out by using a sump pump and hose. Lower it to just below the return. As the rain sits on the cover, it will push excess water out of the return. Pack your equipment away in a safe place while gone. When you get home, drain water off cover with sump pump, take cover off, hook up filter n pump, fill the pool and start circulation, test water and SLAM it to clear it up if green. Your equipment will not be harmed in any way.

I drain mine to just below the return and it's always a foot below the return upon opening because of rain water displacing pool water.

Gotcha, many thanks !

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.