Softener water / SWG

Rafy

Aug 27, 2014
Texas
Hi

I’m thinking to buy “SWG” for my pool this summer.

The only concern I have is that I use the water that comes from the softener system in the house to fill my pool when it needs it.
To maintain the softener filter you need to add some salt “pebbles “to the softener tank. That give you the effect of smooth and soft skin when you shower; plus it cleans the water.

Does anyone see any “benefit” in adding “SWG” if you use the water from the softener system in the pool?

By the way all the water in the pool at this point is treated with the filter system.

Hi

I’m thinking to buy “SWG” for my pool this summer.

The only concern I have is that I use the water that comes from the softener system in the house to fill my pool when it needs it.
To maintain the softener filter you need to add some salt “pebbles “to the softener tank. That give you the effect of smooth and soft skin when you shower; plus it cleans the water.

Does anyone see any “benefit” in adding “SWG” if you use the water from the softener system in the pool?

By the way all the water in the pool at this point is treated with the filter system.
They are two different things. The SWG is really a SWCG - meaning a salt water chlorine generator. Through a chemical reaction it turns the low level salt in the water to chlorine for sanitation in your pool.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with this one:
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Unless you are using Baqua or some other system you would be using one of the methods discussed to get chlorine in your pool.

More detail on the SWG/SWCG can be found HERE.

The salt in your softener is there to produce a chemical exchange to remove (mostly calcium) from your water (it does not clean the water)

The salt needed for an SWG is completely unrelated to that process and is mandatory if you decide to purchase an SWG.

Doing so can help keep your CH from rising as fast and thus lower the likelihood of getting calcium scaling in the SWG as well.

There is certainly no problem doing both ... as long as you understand the differences.

In water softeners, the salt is actually not what is softening the water. Part of the softener is a bunch of specially shaped polymer beads. The beads catch the hard minerals in your tap water. Every so often the beads need to be backwashed (cleaned). The salt brine that develops in the tank is used to backwash the beads so they can continue to remove hard minerals. This is often referred to as regeneration. Some salt does find its way into the soft water supply, but not a lot, and nowhere near the 3000-3500 ppm required by an SWG.

Thank you all of you for your information and advice.
I will try to get the "SWG or SWCG" (I know was the same only I was lazy) if I find a good price. However I have other problem with the pool at this point that have a priority. I will post later what it is. The best place to get information and guidance for your pool is here. I been learning a lot and my wife and I still learning.
Thank you everyone!!!

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.