Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Softener water / SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

Softener water / SWG

Hi

I’m thinking to buy “SWG” for my pool this summer.

The only concern I have is that I use the water that comes from the softener system in the house to fill my pool when it needs it.
    To maintain the softener filter you need to add some salt “pebbles “to the softener tank. That give you the effect of smooth and soft skin when you shower; plus it cleans the water.

Does anyone see any “benefit” in adding “SWG” if you use the water from the softener system in the pool?

By the way all the water in the pool at this point is treated with the filter system.
    14 x 36 In-Ground Fiberglass Pool Free form 14000Gal
    Hayward Super Pump series ( SP2610X15)
    Hayward Pro Series Top Mount High-Rate Sand Filter(S244T)
    Rainbow Lifegard Chlorine/Bromine Feeder ( not in used )

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Softener water / SWG

Quote Originally Posted by Rafy View Post
    Hi

I’m thinking to buy “SWG” for my pool this summer.

The only concern I have is that I use the water that comes from the softener system in the house to fill my pool when it needs it.
    To maintain the softener filter you need to add some salt “pebbles “to the softener tank. That give you the effect of smooth and soft skin when you shower; plus it cleans the water.

Does anyone see any “benefit” in adding “SWG” if you use the water from the softener system in the pool?

By the way all the water in the pool at this point is treated with the filter system.
    They are two different things. The SWG is really a SWCG - meaning a salt water chlorine generator. Through a chemical reaction it turns the low level salt in the water to chlorine for sanitation in your pool.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with this one:
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Unless you are using Baqua or some other system you would be using one of the methods discussed to get chlorine in your pool.

More detail on the SWG/SWCG can be found HERE.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

The salt in your softener is there to produce a chemical exchange to remove (mostly calcium) from your water (it does not clean the water)

The salt needed for an SWG is completely unrelated to that process and is mandatory if you decide to purchase an SWG.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

If you fill from a water softener, chances are that the pool salt level will already be high enough for the SWG to work, and you won't have to add salt (though this can vary).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Doing so can help keep your CH from rising as fast and thus lower the likelihood of getting calcium scaling in the SWG as well.

There is certainly no problem doing both ... as long as you understand the differences.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

In water softeners, the salt is actually not what is softening the water. Part of the softener is a bunch of specially shaped polymer beads. The beads catch the hard minerals in your tap water. Every so often the beads need to be backwashed (cleaned). The salt brine that develops in the tank is used to backwash the beads so they can continue to remove hard minerals. This is often referred to as regeneration. Some salt does find its way into the soft water supply, but not a lot, and nowhere near the 3000-3500 ppm required by an SWG.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you all of you for your information and advice.
    I will try to get the "SWG or SWCG" (I know was the same only I was lazy) if I find a good price. However I have other problem with the pool at this point that have a priority. I will post later what it is. The best place to get information and guidance for your pool is here. I been learning a lot and my wife and I still learning.
    Thank you everyone!!!
    Last edited by Rafy; 03-18-2015 at 08:32 AM. Reason: spelling
    14 x 36 In-Ground Fiberglass Pool Free form 14000Gal
    Hayward Super Pump series ( SP2610X15)
    Hayward Pro Series Top Mount High-Rate Sand Filter(S244T)
    Rainbow Lifegard Chlorine/Bromine Feeder ( not in used )