Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water hardness in Los Angeles? Too soft?

1. Back To Top    #1

Water hardness in Los Angeles? Too soft?

My water was a little soft at 150 so i popped it up to 220 - but the pool supply place (actually a really great honest place i found) said i didnt need to buy anything because it would go up on its own. 150 seemed a long way from the 300 target and i could only get 8lbs of hardener anyway since thats all they had on hand. what would cause water to soften naturally and/or chemically? will it go up on its own? i guess my next step is to test my tap water - but if theres anything else that could contribute to it being TOO soft, i'd like to know.
    12000g pool + 1000g spa. Jandy 2.0hp epump + separate Jandy pump for Sheer Descent. Jandy CV Cartridge Filter. Jandy Lxi gas heater. Tropical Breeze PebbleTec. Aqualink. Aquapure SWG. Nature 2. The Pool Cleaner 2x. Taylor K-2005.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Water hardness in Los Angeles? Too soft?

i guess my next step is to test my tap water
    Yep! CH will be constantly slowly increasing in virtually all pools. The speed and extent of that increase depends primarily on your tap water CH.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    Yep! CH will be constantly slowly increasing in virtually all pools. The speed and extent of that increase depends primarily on your tap water CH.
    it was kind of odd to see the water be softer, ESPECIALLY IN LOS ANGELES! - i didnt expect that. the only thing i was using (before i got smarter here) was dichlor - which messed up my CYA and created a life lesson . i guess i will know when i test my tap water. so at 220 i should just let it creep up on its own to 300?
    12000g pool + 1000g spa. Jandy 2.0hp epump + separate Jandy pump for Sheer Descent. Jandy CV Cartridge Filter. Jandy Lxi gas heater. Tropical Breeze PebbleTec. Aqualink. Aquapure SWG. Nature 2. The Pool Cleaner 2x. Taylor K-2005.

4. Back To Top    #4

I suggest waiting for the tap water CH level before deciding anything relating to CH. High tap water CH and low tap water CH call for directly opposite behavior here.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School