Cartridge filter for 15,000 gal pool

I'm looking for a filter for my 15,000 pool. Right now the filter is 150 square feet which seems too small. The cartridge needs replacing, and I am also relocating the equipment, so I figure I might as well get a new filter. Any recommendations, both for size and brand?

EDIT: Ok so now I see that the filter size is more related to the pump size than anything else, looks like I should be looking in the 200-320 range

We recommend getting the largest filter you can afford and have space for. Larger filters will go longer between cleanings and just slightly improve the overall efficiency of the system.

Also, please post some specs for your pool in your signature. It is tricky to answer without knowing things like your pump size, in-floor cleaning or not, and so on.

Well right now I have a 3/4hp pump with booster for the (currently non-existent) sweep.

I am planning on getting the Hayward SP2302VSP pump (1.5hp), and a polaris 360 to eliminate the booster pump. There will also be solar panels on a 1 story roof. One skimmer one drain and two jets plus the sweep hookup.

I just found a pentair 200sqft clean and clear on craigslist for $100 so that is appealing, needs a new cartridge but that seems to save several hundred over purchasing a new filter. Seller says its 6 years old. Do the housings get brittle or is there any other reasons I should be worried about purchasing a used housing?

You should price replacement cartridges before you buy, they are not all that cheap. Pleatco is my favorite replacement cartridge maker. Housing should last much longer than 6 years.

I would disagree that filter size is most related to pump size. We size the filter based on the pool size, length of season, etc and usually that is more than large enough to handle the pump unless you pump is drastically over-sized.

For reference, a minimum I would want for your pool would be about 225 sqft ... so the 200 sqft is close, just will have to clean it a little more often.

I would disagree that filter size is most related to pump size. We size the filter based on the pool size, length of season, etc and usually that is more than large enough to handle the pump unless you pump is drastically over-sized.

For reference, a minimum I would want for your pool would be about 225 sqft ... so the 200 sqft is close, just will have to clean it a little more often.

Yeah after thinking about it more I would be better off either keeping my current filter or getting a much bigger one, rather than "upgrading" to one that is still borderline too small

You might want to keep the 3/4 or change the motor to a 2-speed 3/4 hp motor. I've only got a 100sq ft filter. During the peak of the season I clean the filter every 2 weeks. 15 minutes to rinse of the gunk. During the winter I go a couple months. It may average out to be 10-12 times a year I clean the filter. I looked at getting a new filter but then remember "If it isn't broke, don't fix it."
I'm frugal and did swap out a single speed 3/4 hp with a 2-speed 3/4 hp motor. Happy with the results. (90-95% of the time on low speed).

You might want to keep the 3/4 or change the motor to a 2-speed 3/4 hp motor. I've only got a 100sq ft filter. During the peak of the season I clean the filter every 2 weeks. 15 minutes to rinse of the gunk. During the winter I go a couple months. It may average out to be 10-12 times a year I clean the filter. I looked at getting a new filter but then remember "If it isn't broke, don't fix it."
I'm frugal and did swap out a single speed 3/4 hp with a 2-speed 3/4 hp motor. Happy with the results. (90-95% of the time on low speed).

I'm looking at a new pump since I am moving the equipment anyways and will also be adding solar panels, which might need some extra head. Also will be running adding a polaris 360 to run off the same pump, and there is no way to isolate my skimmer for vacuuming so it would be nice to be able to bump up the power to add more suction, because right now it is very poor. I am thinking about sticking with my current filter though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.