Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Upgrade/ Polaris Pump Elimination

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump Upgrade/ Polaris Pump Elimination

Greetings ...... We have a 1.5 HP Pentair Pump and the 3/4 Booster Pump for my 380 Polaris ..... The Pentair pump has developed a Crack in the housing ( 2nd time / 75.00) .... So replace the housing or jump to a VS pump? Also I have thought about trying to eliminate to booster pump .... If I upgraded to the VS pump and went with the 2-2.9 instead of the 1-1.9 pump could I eliminate the booster pump ? I usually run the polaris 2-4 Hours a day ..... Thanks .....mike
    24K Marcite 1.5 Pentair Pump 380 Polaris

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump Upgrade/ Polaris Pump Elimination

A pool cleaner designed to work with a booster pump, will not work with a variable speed pump. You could replace the cleaner with a similar cleaner that will work with the main pump.

Electric rates in Florida are not generally high enough to justify a variable speed pump. Depending on what rebates are available for the smaller variable speed pumps, you will usually have a lower total lifetime cost if you get a two speed pump.

Do you have a spa/waterfall/etc? Unless there is some water feature that you haven't mentioned, a 1 HP pump will be more than enough.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I have often thought about down sizing the pump ...just longer run times ....The Hayward site shows a savings of 23-33 per month from a VS/SP pump ...... our rate is about .12/kw ..... The VS can be appealing with less sound at lower rpms ...

Hayward VS 648.00 2S 1.0HP 485.00 1S 1.0HP 325.00

4. Back To Top    #4

I would not trust any of those calculators as they seem to be biased.

The is likely no need to increase run time if you go with a smaller pump. See: Determine Pump Run Time

I agree with Jason that a 2-speed make more sense. You could keep the existing pump and just put a 2-speed motor on it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Sounds Like the consensus is the 2 speed pumps ......Devcon applied to the cracked housing and is holding for now .... will start looking for a pump ..... thanks ..... m