Pump Upgrade/ Polaris Pump Elimination

Jun 15, 2012
Northest Florida
Greetings ...... We have a 1.5 HP Pentair Pump and the 3/4 Booster Pump for my 380 Polaris ..... The Pentair pump has developed a Crack in the housing ( 2nd time / 75.00) .... So replace the housing or jump to a VS pump? Also I have thought about trying to eliminate to booster pump .... If I upgraded to the VS pump and went with the 2-2.9 instead of the 1-1.9 pump could I eliminate the booster pump ? I usually run the polaris 2-4 Hours a day ..... Thanks .....mike

A pool cleaner designed to work with a booster pump, will not work with a variable speed pump. You could replace the cleaner with a similar cleaner that will work with the main pump.

Electric rates in Florida are not generally high enough to justify a variable speed pump. Depending on what rebates are available for the smaller variable speed pumps, you will usually have a lower total lifetime cost if you get a two speed pump.

Do you have a spa/waterfall/etc? Unless there is some water feature that you haven't mentioned, a 1 HP pump will be more than enough.

I have often thought about down sizing the pump ...just longer run times ....The Hayward site shows a savings of 23-33 per month from a VS/SP pump ...... our rate is about .12/kw ..... The VS can be appealing with less sound at lower rpms ...

Hayward VS 648.00 2S 1.0HP 485.00 1S 1.0HP 325.00

I would not trust any of those calculators as they seem to be biased.

The is likely no need to increase run time if you go with a smaller pump. See: Determine Pump Run Time

I agree with Jason that a 2-speed make more sense. You could keep the existing pump and just put a 2-speed motor on it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.