Have an M5, would like a cheaper unit for bulk pickup for startup

Mar 25, 2013
Poway, CA
Got an M5 which works well, but the filters fill quickly. I'd like to get a good used vacuum powered unit to use at beginning of season, or after storms/winds to pick up chunky stuff initially. I don't mind spending a few hundred for a medium or better level cleaner.

Any recommendations?

If its just for ad hoc quick pickup, I have one of those MaxBlasters that work fairly well. But I rarely use it since buying the M4...the Max Blaster is more for spot cleaning so doesn't have much capacity though it does a good job on post-tpstorm worms, etc.

I don't know about the M5 capacity, but using the "spring cleanup" baskets on my top-loading M4 ths fall during constant leaf battle worked pretty well for me -- to my surprise, as I hadn't really expected that. Have you tried that? The mesh is less fine so it will keep going a good while even chock full of leaves. Its surprising how much debris will actually fit.

I'm not sure there's really anything better short of a leaf rake...but I'll be interested to hear if other posters have discovered something.

That's what I do, I hit the heavy first round with spring carts, then make a run with the fine ones.

You might consider one of the premier models with a bag, but I'm not sure how much better it would be if any.

If there are a lot of leaves in the pool, a leaf bagger is your best choice.
Sallie-LeafBagger.jpg

Some leaves, some small rocks (hill behind pool), lots of worms, snails, lizards, and stuff I can't identify cuz it's nasty.
I have used the coarse filters on the M5, but they fill up quickly. The pool is large, and lots of stuff gets blown in. The M5 makes it sparkle but, if there's lots of debris, takes 4-6 times cleaning the filters, waiting a day for the silt to settle then using the finer filters.

I don't want to clog the DE filter, so I'd prefer one with a bag, but am willing to consider any insight.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.