Wife is sick of the noise and a new pump is going to happen

Apr 7, 2013
Tallahassee Fl
So I am going to replace the pump and the utility company has a $200 credit for a variable speed pump. What to get? I have no controller except for the one for the salt system. I live in Florida so run times can get long in the summer.... oh and electricity is 0.15kwh

Wife is sick on the noise of the oldie goldie single speed pump. and my electric bill is too. Given our weather and rain amount I have to run the pump 8-12hours pretty much year round.

A small variable speed pump, like the MaxFlo VS, with a rebate is cost competitive at those electrical rates. But a larger variable speed will never pay back the initial investment. A two speed pump is also very cost competitive. The two speed will probably last longer. Both are very quiet when run on a relatively low speed.

City of Tallahassee, I a not looking for larger as I do not have a water fall or any other specific needs just efficient filtration in a quieter package. At some point I will add solar heating but that will be mounted to a roof directly above the pump station. At some point I may decide to try an to run the pump off solar since we get sun year round in great quantities.

If you perhaps intend on replacing the pump with a solar one in a couple 3 years, then your initial cost of a new pump should be a consideration I would imagine?
If so, a 2 speed pump will be fairly quiet on low speed, and makes sense $ wise, but probably doesnt fit the rebate criteria
It would be fairly quiet on low speed, which is what you would want it doing except for perhaps when mixing chemicals.

The small Maxflo VS pump that JasonLion refers to will be extremely quiet on lower rpms and cost effective, given the rebate.
I believe it would also run a solar heater, but would require higher RPM, however given the quietness of the VS pumps, I beleive your wife will still be happy!

City of Tallahassee, I a not looking for larger as I do not have a water fall or any other specific needs just efficient filtration in a quieter package. At some point I will add solar heating but that will be mounted to a roof directly above the pump station. At some point I may decide to try an to run the pump off solar since we get sun year round in great quantities.

There are a couple of them, the MaxFlo VS is just the one we recommend as being better (mostly on price and efficiency) than the others. Some of the others include the SuperFlo VS, SuperMax VS, SuperPump VS, and so on.

Make sure you read the details of the power company rebate as well. Some only apply if you are replacing a 1.5hp or higher single speed pump.

If this is the rebate form that applies to you, you'll need VS as 2 speed doesn't qualify for the rebate. But they don't seem to care what pump you are replacing so that's good.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Came in today and took me about an hour to install at. I can say i dont think it is 1.5hp as the flow is notably less than the 1.5hp pump it replaced but it will still do the job quite well. at 3000rpm it is not even a fraction as loud.@1500 i can barely notice it running and it is inaudible when standing on the pool deck. I am going to dial in the minimum required to get a little skimming action and keep the salt system happy. my cost after rebate is $450 and according to the pump it is drawing 150 watts @1500 rpm. the last one according to the name plate drew 15.2 amps and i was running it 12 hrs a day minimum. my plan for now is 3 hrs wide open 3000 rpm then the minimum req'd rpm till 10pm. i was paying 15cents KWH they just dropped the rate to 10 cents an hour but given our season length and reqd run times I think this was a good choice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.