Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Wife is sick of the noise and a new pump is going to happen

1. Back To Top    #1

Wife is sick of the noise and a new pump is going to happen

So I am going to replace the pump and the utility company has a $200 credit for a variable speed pump. What to get? I have no controller except for the one for the salt system. I live in Florida so run times can get long in the summer.... oh and electricity is 0.15kwh

Wife is sick on the noise of the oldie goldie single speed pump. and my electric bill is too. Given our weather and rain amount I have to run the pump 8-12hours pretty much year round.
    30+ YO, IG, 20Kgal, Vinyl(2YO), Circupool SI30 sand flterr, hayword sp2302 VSP, (3/4hp pump for polaris(never use)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Wife is sick of the noise and a new pump is going to happen

A small variable speed pump, like the MaxFlo VS, with a rebate is cost competitive at those electrical rates. But a larger variable speed will never pay back the initial investment. A two speed pump is also very cost competitive. The two speed will probably last longer. Both are very quiet when run on a relatively low speed.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I can't help with the pump decision by who is your utility company? I'm guessing it is not Duke Energy.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

4. Back To Top    #4

City of Tallahassee, I a not looking for larger as I do not have a water fall or any other specific needs just efficient filtration in a quieter package. At some point I will add solar heating but that will be mounted to a roof directly above the pump station. At some point I may decide to try an to run the pump off solar since we get sun year round in great quantities.
    30+ YO, IG, 20Kgal, Vinyl(2YO), Circupool SI30 sand flterr, hayword sp2302 VSP, (3/4hp pump for polaris(never use)

5. Back To Top    #5

Seems to me like you'd be just as well off with a simple 2 speed pump. A lot cheaper too.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

If you perhaps intend on replacing the pump with a solar one in a couple 3 years, then your initial cost of a new pump should be a consideration I would imagine?
    If so, a 2 speed pump will be fairly quiet on low speed, and makes sense $ wise, but probably doesnt fit the rebate criteria
    It would be fairly quiet on low speed, which is what you would want it doing except for perhaps when mixing chemicals.

The small Maxflo VS pump that JasonLion refers to will be extremely quiet on lower rpms and cost effective, given the rebate.
    I believe it would also run a solar heater, but would require higher RPM, however given the quietness of the VS pumps, I beleive your wife will still be happy!

Quote Originally Posted by ggoodman View Post
    City of Tallahassee, I a not looking for larger as I do not have a water fall or any other specific needs just efficient filtration in a quieter package. At some point I will add solar heating but that will be mounted to a roof directly above the pump station. At some point I may decide to try an to run the pump off solar since we get sun year round in great quantities.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

7. Back To Top    #7

So is the maxflo 2300 vs the only small pump that in this size range?

8. Back To Top    #8

There are a couple of them, the MaxFlo VS is just the one we recommend as being better (mostly on price and efficiency) than the others. Some of the others include the SuperFlo VS, SuperMax VS, SuperPump VS, and so on.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Make sure you read the details of the power company rebate as well. Some only apply if you are replacing a 1.5hp or higher single speed pump.

If this is the rebate form that applies to you, you'll need VS as 2 speed doesn't qualify for the rebate. But they don't seem to care what pump you are replacing so that's good.

10. Back To Top    #10

Maxflo VS it is. Thanks for the help guys

11. Back To Top    #11

Good luck with your choice.

After you get it installed, let us know how you like it?

Quote Originally Posted by ggoodman View Post
    Maxflo VS it is. Thanks for the help guys
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

12. Back To Top    #12

will do rapping up my semester and clinicals will jump on this project when I get that all done.

13. Back To Top    #13

Came in today and took me about an hour to install at. I can say i dont think it is 1.5hp as the flow is notably less than the 1.5hp pump it replaced but it will still do the job quite well. at 3000rpm it is not even a fraction as loud.@1500 i can barely notice it running and it is inaudible when standing on the pool deck. I am going to dial in the minimum required to get a little skimming action and keep the salt system happy. my cost after rebate is $450 and according to the pump it is drawing 150 watts @1500 rpm. the last one according to the name plate drew 15.2 amps and i was running it 12 hrs a day minimum. my plan for now is 3 hrs wide open 3000 rpm then the minimum req'd rpm till 10pm. i was paying 15cents KWH they just dropped the rate to 10 cents an hour but given our season length and reqd run times I think this was a good choice.

14. Back To Top    #14

oh and thanks for all the help guys!