Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward or Pentair

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward or Pentair

I have the option of equipment for our new pool/spa.

The advantages for Hayward is the Omnilogic over intellitouch, Echstar is more efficient that the Intelliflow, 400,000 BTU Natural gas heater is better and rat proof.

The advantages for Pentair is the Filter is better.

Am I missing anything?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward or Pentair

Chevy vs Ford. Both are very similar.

Although Raypak heaters are better than both.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Although Raypak heaters are better than both.
    Ya just couldn't help yourself could you ??

Why not go with the best, Omnilogic, EcoStar, Pentair filter and Raypak heater?
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Keep in mind that Omnilogic is brand new. The advance material looks wonderful, but we do not yet know how it will work out in practice.

EcoStar is more efficient, but new units seems to have problems for a few people with constantly tripping the GFCI breaker.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I have had an ecostar for a year now and love it, I have a 1.5 inch suction line so it's not the most efficient but at 1000rpm I only draw 85 watts

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Poollife View Post
    I have had an ecostar for a year now and love it, I have a 1.5 inch suction line so it's not the most efficient but at 1000rpm I only draw 85 watts
    With a single 1.5" suction line, the Ecostar sure sounds like overkill. A smaller VS might have been a better fit ... but I do not know anything about your pool. Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

I've called Hayward customer service a few times and always found them to answer quickly, be very helpful, and a pleasure to deal with. Something to consider if you need help.
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

8. Back To Top    #8

I have 9 12x4 Heliocol panels on the roof. So there will be 2" PVC going straight up from the equipment 14', over the parapet and into the panels on a flat roof. Will this make a difference in which pump would work better?

Quote Originally Posted by kiss4afrog View Post
    Why not go with the best, Omnilogic, EcoStar, Pentair filter and Raypak heater?
    I asked the same question and was told that it is better to get the entire package from one company. For discounts or warranty, can't remember. Does this make sense?

9. Back To Top    #9

So get a Pentair filter, pump, automation to get the 3 year warranty of those + a Raypak heater

Pentair and Hayward both have pumps that will handle solar without issue ... especially their large VS pumps.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

This thread seems very.... familiar. Like deja vu familiar.