Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Herbicides in pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Herbicides in pool?

We live in a rural area and have a wheat field right behind the house. Mid January we had several shrubs loose their leaves and some appear to have died (it's a little early to be sure). We suspect the wheat field was sprayed but have not been able to verify that. We did talk to a farmer who said the most likely thing that would have been sprayed that time of year was 2,4-D.
    The cover was off the pool by that time since all the trees had lost their leaves so there is a possibility that whatever it was got into the pool water.
    My research so far indicates that there should not be a health risk to swimming in that water but I wanted to see if anyone had more knowledge of this.
    Thanks!
    Greg
    Round 18' Sharkline pool, 8600 gallons of well water. Hayward 40gpm single speed pump and DE filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Herbicides in pool?

I can't imagine anybody spraying 2,4-D in January. It is absorbed through the leaves, so would be ineffective at that time of year, and can actually reduce yield. 2,4-D is not usually used on wheat in the fall or winter at all. Late March here in Indiana would be the earliest spraying time, both because it needs green foliage and because it doesn't work well below 50F.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

I'd call an agricultural extension office from your state. Here are a few suggestions for your county (Cowley): https://www.google.com/#q=cowley+cou...tension+office
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Chlorine will break it down. There might be a short term risk (or not, I don't know) but after a few days it will be gone.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by kiss4afrog View Post
    I'd call an agricultural extension office from your state. Here are a few suggestions for your county (Cowley): https://www.google.com/#q=cowley+cou...tension+office
    They are right across the hall from me , but she was out today so I thought I would get some input from here until she can call me back.
    Round 18' Sharkline pool, 8600 gallons of well water. Hayward 40gpm single speed pump and DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Maybe something else, but not 2 4 D this time of year even in Texas.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

7. Back To Top    #7

Just an update; the lady from the extension office just called and she is pretty confident that my plants suffered winter kill. She said the last 2 to 3 years have been really hard on landscape plants, and that the freezing/thawing cycles we had this year probably did them in.
    So a little later in the spring I will be able to enjoy the pool....... after planting new shrubs

8. Back To Top    #8

Good to hear! (well better to hear than herbicide)
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem