Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: stone venear vs. porcelain tile (that looks like wood)

1. Back To Top    #1

stone venear vs. porcelain tile (that looks like wood)

Question: I'm curious what the cost difference is between using a stone venear vs. using procelain tile that looks like wood.

I'm cosidnering using this tile vs. stone venear to cover outdoor kitchen. Do you think it would look ggod?, weird? Thoughts?...

https://www.flooranddecor.com/cerami...2.html#start=1

Trying to figure which is more cost effective per square foot.
    Completed 38'X21' IG Free form pool approx 18.5K gallons, sports pool w/spa and tanning shelf 3.5-5.5 ft. Jandy Cartridge Filter, Jandy stealth pumps, Jandy LXi Heater, I aqualink, Inline chlorinator. Click to see My Pool Build

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: stone venear vs. porcelain tile (that looks like wood)

Both stone and tile vary in price quite a bit. The comparison can come out either way depending on which specific choices you make of each. That said, tile is usually a little less expensive, but they both vary so much that it all comes down to your specific choices.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I would go look at Houzz and just general Google Images for outdoor spaces that have used it. I think it's a neat concept, but very specific. I could see it making an outdoor space "feel" more like an indoor space. If that is what you were looking to do, then it may fit the bill. I'd definitely take the effort do a dry run with it first if you are able get a few boxes that could be returned if you decided you didn't like it.

And you know the deal. If you do it, post pictures.

Good luck!
    plat.

4. Back To Top    #4

I will say... tile is way cheaper than real stacked stone veneer. I paid about $5.50 per sq ft for the straight stone and $5.95 per square ft for pre-made corners made by MSI stone products. The stacked stone products I saw at Decor & More (where you linked to) were garbage. Very unnatural looking and the bonding glue was all over the fronts of every piece. Very poor quality control.

Otherwise, the stacked stone installation is way more forgiving. Tile requires a very flat surface and a good technique to make everything line up correctly. The stacked stone doesn't care.
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks everyone. I hope to start this project and buying componnets by the end of the year. Keep your fingers crossed!

Thanks Killer seems we have a MSI in Houston. I will be visiting their massive showroom when the time comes for sure!
    Completed 38'X21' IG Free form pool approx 18.5K gallons, sports pool w/spa and tanning shelf 3.5-5.5 ft. Jandy Cartridge Filter, Jandy stealth pumps, Jandy LXi Heater, I aqualink, Inline chlorinator. Click to see My Pool Build

6. Back To Top    #6

I did stone veneer. Stone is expensive then when you want veneer it's more expensive. Look at Apex Stone. They cut on site and you can order a range of stone. They are in (or around Katy). You can get cut 90* angles as well. Delivery is expensive so I hope you have a truck!

If you buy the cut corners it really makes it look more like full stone.
    ~Paul
    19x40 IG including 10' BE, 18,000 gal, plaster, 48 SF DE, 1.5HP pump, AquaPure SWCG, Ozonejoe 30MR, Rockwaterfall, LED light, TF-100 Fill date 11/21/2014
    My ODK Build | My Pool Build | If You're From Texas Vote Here