Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool to Full

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool to Full

I have a mesh cover, and it appears my pool is full again. It is hard to say because it could just be the ice on the cover pushing the water into the return. I was planning on opening in a couple weeks. Should I drain the pool a little so that if it rains, likely, the pool doesn't fill higher than the vinyl liner? This is my first spring as a pool owner and I want to make sure I won't cause more problems if I let the pool get over full. Draining water off will require a new pump because all the system pump is still winterized.
    20x40 30k gal vinyl, Inline Tri-Chlor Chlorinator, Hayward 250K btu heater, Hayward 2HP Super Pump, Hayward DE6020 Filter,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool to Full

Welcome to the forum. How about just removing some ice off the top of the cover?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Did you or do you know if winterizing included draining or blowing out the skimmer and return lines and then plugging them and adding anti-freeze? I do not own a vinyl liner pool so I am not sure if there will be any impact to the liner. The issue that I am familar with is if the water can freely enter the pipes and then freeze. If your pipes are exposed than I would suggest draining some.

Some people have also used a hose to siphon water out of the pool, however since it can take a long time make sure you do not forget about it or you could take out a lot more water than you want.

Hope this was some help.
    25,000 gallon in ground white plaster- 1 1/2 HP Pentair SuperFlo pump - 60 sqft FNS DE filter (with FiberClear), 1999 Sundance Optima 850 hot tub.
    Manassas Park, VA

4. Back To Top    #4

The ICE is too heavy and out of reach. it should finish melting in a day or two. We've had so much snow this year, the cover actually froze to the the surface of the water since it is mesh and water was both above and below it. Pipes are blown, filled with anti-freeze, and sealed which is why I can't just use the main system to drain the pool. I am planning on riding it out the next two weeks till the ICE is off and I have time to open the pool. I am just not familiar with how the liner is connected to the coping. If I let the water rise to high, is there a chance the water will go behind and float the liner? I have drains to prevent the liner from floating, but would rather not test them to see if they work since not every pool builder installs them.
    20x40 30k gal vinyl, Inline Tri-Chlor Chlorinator, Hayward 250K btu heater, Hayward 2HP Super Pump, Hayward DE6020 Filter,

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by swirlywater View Post
    I have a mesh cover, and it appears my pool is full again. It is hard to say because it could just be the ice on the cover pushing the water into the return. I was planning on opening in a couple weeks. Should I drain the pool a little so that if it rains, likely, the pool doesn't fill higher than the vinyl liner? This is my first spring as a pool owner and I want to make sure I won't cause more problems if I let the pool get over full. Draining water off will require a new pump because all the system pump is still winterized.
    Mine is the same as yours. I'm siphion a little bit of water out now. Just be careful it's not frozen inside the skimmers also.
    If the water drops with frozen ice in the skimmers it could stress the plastic boxes when the ice drops in the main part of the pool.
    19,000 gal - Vinyl IG - Sand filter -1.5hp. - Taylor k 2006 - Loop Loc cover