Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rainbow Chlorine Feeder...Where?

1. Back To Top    #1

Rainbow Chlorine Feeder...Where?

We are finally putting in a heater and all new equipment for pool and spa. Question, if I put in a new chlorine feeder, should I attach it to the pool return only, and not include it on the spa return? Thought being, we do not over chlorinate the spa while being used. We will probably use the spa a lot more than the pool, and when back in pool mode it will return to spa and spillover.

Thanks.
    16k gal, IG pool and spa, pool 29x14, pebble, 1983, 1.5" plumbing, Pentair Intelliflo VSP, Pentair Quad DE, Zodiac Aqualink Z4-PSi, AquaRite T15 SWG, Aquatherm AT115

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rainbow Chlorine Feeder...Where?

I recently put in a pool at my house. I have the same setup that you have described. Sounds like a reasonable approach to me.
    23' x 37' IG 18.5k gallon SWG w/ raised spa, Build Thread -->Here
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8
    4x Hayward® TriStar™ pumps, Paramount PCC2000® ICS, TF-100 w/Speedstir

3. Back To Top    #3

Just remember, with a puck feeder you have ever rising levels of CYA/Stabilizer. High CYA is the root cause of why many folks show up at TFP wondering why their pool is green.

Have you thought about other chlorination options such as a SWCG, Stenner Pump or Liquidator?

While knowledgeable, controlled use of a puck feeder has it's place It probably should not be the prime source of chlorine in a location like S/W Florida where the pool is runing 12 months of the year.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

The feeder I have now is the same one. During winter the feeder is not used. Really only used during the summer and then only filled with two pucks. Don't want none of that lockout!
    16k gal, IG pool and spa, pool 29x14, pebble, 1983, 1.5" plumbing, Pentair Intelliflo VSP, Pentair Quad DE, Zodiac Aqualink Z4-PSi, AquaRite T15 SWG, Aquatherm AT115

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by sag365 View Post
    Don't want none of that lockout!
    Not sure I understand this??
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon